Tire Size - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Tire Size

I would like to run a larger tire on the rear of my 07 RSTD. I'm not trying to do anything performance wise with it, just better appearance from the rear and hopefully will track better with road grooves. My last VTX ran a stock 180 and many would run 200's which are Metz 880 and approved by Metz on a 5.5" wide wheel. I think I read that our wheels are 4.5" wide. Does anybody have experience running a 160-180 without modifications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM

You have virtually no clearance on the shaft drive of a Royal Star,, it is a major and expensive mod to increase the rear tire size..

And actually it is the front tire that has more influence on tracking.. Switch to either Avon Venoms, Michelin Commanders, or Dunlop E3s, all handle much better than stock tires.. I personally like the Avons,, I also went to the smaller front tire size the MT90b,, it makes the bike feel lighter and more responsive,, plus it has a higher load capacity than the stock front tire.. For that matter the stock size rear Avon has a higher load capacity than the stock tire.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 AM

I'll also echo what hig said. When I was shopping for tires for my Venture I also wanted to go a little bigger, but I didn't see, from the measurements I took, that I could've gone up even 1 size. I went with the Mich. Commanders, staying with the stock sizes, because they had the highest load rating at the time since I was doing a lot of 2-up, loaded to the hilt, and even pulling a trailer once in a while. They were still on it when I sold it and had several k's of miles left in them. The only "complaint" I had with them was that they were just a tad "zingy" in a muffler-dragging lean. I was kinda skittish about leaning too far with the stock B'stones, but after changing to the Mich's I put a lot of rash on the mufflers and never felt like it was going to slip out from under me. I absolutely loved taking that beast thru the Tail of the Dragon!!
BTW, also check the date codes on your tire purchase too. My son bought a Dunlop 404 for his Shadow in June '10, it now has 5k on it and it's as slick as glass, all the way across. According to the code it was 2 years old when he got it, but he or I didn't think to check the code til this spring when we noticed it was wearing WAY too fast.

'99 Bordeaux Red/Silver Royal Star Venture
Yamaha passing lamps
Kuryakyn grips
Yamaha tank bib
Show Chrome trunk rack
Utopia backrest
Mic mute
Dual Spectre "custom" air cleaner mod
Roadhouse slip-on mufflers

Last edited by Wrench; 12-01-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

New rear tire, I bought a Metz 880, 150-90/15. I got all there was to get out of the Dunny 404 and shure glad to be on a new tire, the Metz looks much better than the 404. I don't know how many mile of service the 404 provided since I have only put 2,200 miles on it since I purchased the bike. The production date on the 404 was the 16th. week of 2010, so 19 months ago, but who knows when it was installed. Any how enough of my rambling, I will know how the metz does.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 10:30 PM

How many miles does your RSTD have on it? My '04 Venture came with Bridgestones on it, and I think I remember the manual saying they could've had 404's too. I think I remember reading somewhere that factory installed tires had an identifying mark on them, maybe a white dot, can't remember for sure, but I know it wasn't the green "weight" dot. I got almost 10k out of the 'stones and the rear was gone, almost down to the cords. The Mich's had around 7k and the rear showed very little wear. The 880's are supposed to be a really good tire for mileage, but again that'll depend a lot on weight, 2-up and/or loaded on trips will wear more. I think you made a good decision, keep us posted on how it does for you.

Yamaha passing lamps
Kuryakyn grips
Yamaha tank bib
Show Chrome trunk rack
Utopia backrest
Mic mute
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

The bike(07-RSTD) has 22k, I suspect this is tire #2 or more likely than not the third rear tire. I didn't have any of the belts showing yet it was a slick in the center 3". Actually the reason I changed was the roads were wet last Tuesday when I rode with a group and went across a wide painted stripe marking a crosswalk and I lost traction on the stripe. I never lost control but sure wasn't expecting the loss of traction. I have run the Metz 880 before on two VTX 1800's I have owned. The weight of the VTX 1800 is a bit lighter than the RSTD but the torque is much greater on the VTX and the best mileage I got on the Metz was 7k. So the comparison will be interesting I'm hoping for 10k plus.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 02:22 PM

It could possibly have been the 2nd tire, depending on how the previous owner had ridden it. I've got a friend that runs a Yokohama car tire on the rear of his VTX 1800. I rode with him this summer and it's the strangest looking thing I've seen, but he swears he gets between 15 -20k out of them. YES, those crosswalk stripes are like ice. I was riding to work one morning a couple years ago and almost dropped mine going around our old courthouse square. The roads were bone-dry, but evidently dew had fallen on the crossings. The center-line stripes are also slick if they're wet, plus you usually have a seam in the asphalt mixed into them too. I'm surprised that they don't put some kind of grit in the crosswalks, just to make them a little safer for pedestrian traffic. Good luck with the Metz.

Yamaha passing lamps
Kuryakyn grips
Yamaha tank bib
Show Chrome trunk rack
Utopia backrest
Mic mute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode