Posted this in the new member section, but thought I'd copy it here where it might get more exposure.
Am working on a fella's 1997 Royal Star Tour (1300) and had a couple of questions regarding the syncing of the carbs. All of the information I've found on other forums kinda go through it, but the actual adjusters are not the same as the bike I am working on. Before I touch anything, I want to make sure I know which adjuster screw does what.
Left bank carb balance is pretty obvious, but the right bank balance and left/right bank sync screws are what I'm not sure of.
I've put a picture of these two screws up at:
Which does what??
Any help would be most appreciated.
With no responses coming forth to my question, I decided to take a closer look at the linkage and figured it out. I should have been able to figure this out earlier if I had been more aware of what I was looking at when I had the carbs out, and apart. As Paul Harvey used to say, “And now for the rest of the story; Page 2.”
The bike came in here with the common problem of sitting for too long and the issues caused by the crappy gas we're faced with today. The bike would start and run, on “choke” only, but any attempt to give it throttle would have the engine immediately dying. The owner had tried an additive, but it was to no avail.
I went ahead and pulled the carbs and separated the two banks.... necessary due to the position of the left and right float bowl arrangement and their respective screws. Based on what I was finding (buggered screw heads), I could see that someone else had been in these things before. In addition, the EPA caps has been removed and the mixture needle pockets had been filled with some sort of RTV goop. Three of the needle adjustment screwdriver slots were good, but a fourth had the slot severely buggered up to the point that I couldn't begin to turn it to get it out, or even adjust it. It was going to have to stay where it had been set previously. During reassembly, I adjusted the other three to 2-1/4 turns out.
With the banks separated, I went about the business of pulling bowls and the jets so I could clean them out (they were all clogged). I also cleaned out all the pilot circuits, and fortunately, the one with the buggered slot proved to be clean and clear. Satisfied that I had done a much as I could, I reassembled the carbs and the two banks. THIS, is when I should have paid closer attention to the individual carb and bank adjustments.
With the carbs mounted back on the bike, this is when I had my DHOO question about what screw did what. Like I said, I figured it out.
With the bike running on an auxiliary tank, I went ahead and balanced the carbs, and the two banks this morning using my TwinMax synchronizer. Oddly enough, I found that off-road throttle response seemed to be better when the two banks were set slightly offset from one another. Presently waiting on tires to mount. Once I can get it out on the road in a real-world test, we'll make any necessary further tweaks if I think they're needed.
That's my story, and I'm sticking with.
All of the pix of my involvement with the bike can be seen at: