Royal Star final drive. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Royal Star final drive.

Hey all. New to the forum but glad to be here. I have a 97' Royal Star Palomino I acquired about 6 months ago, was sitting in a garage for 8 years and only had 4k miles on it. Got it up and running but recently the final drive started squeaking/almost like a rub at a certain point when it rolls. I did put new tires and Yamalubed all splines and made sure the hub pins were clean and lubed too. Aligned it to the best I could and ran fine for about a month until recently. I did check the final drive oil (80w-90) and noticed the oil looked fine and clear but when I shined a light on it, had an almost metallic shine to it. Is that normal from microscopic metal shavings off the gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Change the oil !

Is it still squeaking?

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Went and got some Yamalube 80w-90 and realigned the final drive to the swing arm and noise gone. Something so simple. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcali01 View Post
Went and got some Yamalube 80w-90 and realigned the final drive to the swing arm and noise gone. Something so simple. Thanks!
Good to hear you got back on the road.

The final-drive on our shaft-drive yammies is notorious for failing if it's neglected. If they're maintained (i.e. at least drain and refill gear oil to proper level annually) they're bulletproof. But you'll hear many stories of them failing (often spectacularly) if neglected.

The issue seems to be that they don't have to be -egregiously- neglected. Even letting it run low on gear old for a few months can cause the 'bads'...

If yours has returned to proper behavior after proper servicing, then kudos. Keep an eye on it, maintain it at least annually, don't fix what ain't broke.

However if it continues to give funny noises / problems despite proper treatment, consider replacing. Good low-mileage used ones are typically available on Ebay from reputable sellers for about $200. Look for ones from "preferred" sellers that offer guarantee, return policy and (ideally) have video of the bike riding or similar "proof" of functionality. Avoid the $50 "as is no warranty bike wasn't running but it looks good to us" ones.

The change-out is not at all beyond the capacity of the dedicated home mechanic.

My 2c...

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm Yamaha bought since my first XS650 bobber, then a 2009 V-Star 650 and now this Royal Star 1300...been learning about the shaft drives past few years and yeah. Scheduled maintenance is a must. It was actually due for a final drive oil change at 8k miles but the oil wasn't too bad. I think it was just out of alignment from tire change 2 months ago. Ebay is a life saver for sure and I did find a 13k mile final drive for this bad boy for $300 shipped as a backup plan. Cool thing is these forums keep you from having to take your bike to expensive shops. I've yet to take any of mine except for tire changes. Gotta love these posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcali01 View Post
Yeah I'm Yamaha bought since my first XS650 bobber, then a 2009 V-Star 650 and now this Royal Star 1300...been learning about the shaft drives past few years and yeah. Scheduled maintenance is a must. It was actually due for a final drive oil change at 8k miles but the oil wasn't too bad. I think it was just out of alignment from tire change 2 months ago. Ebay is a life saver for sure and I did find a 13k mile final drive for this bad boy for $300 shipped as a backup plan. Cool thing is these forums keep you from having to take your bike to expensive shops. I've yet to take any of mine except for tire changes. Gotta love these posts.
FWIW, I change out the gear oil in the final drive annually. Figure it's cheap insurance...

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

It def is......the yamalube quart is only $10 and each oil change is just a little less than 1/4 of a quart. Do the math and you'll be set for a good long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode