Considering a Royal Star - Thoughts?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By dewdewyah
  • 2 Post By NGM
  • 2 Post By farmalldanzil
  • 2 Post By Keith Post
  • 2 Post By Huntswithhawks
  • 4 Post By SilvrT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Considering a Royal Star - Thoughts??

Hey there!

It's been a while since I've been on this forum. I had a V-star 650 custom for a while, but I've been riding a 2010 Vulcan 900 custom since then.

Anyways, I'm thinking about selling the 900 to get something better for touring. My girlfriend and I like to take trips on our bikes, but riding the 9 with my son on the back is pretty uncomfortable. There is a local shop selling this '05 Royal Star that I'm considering. I posted the link to the CL ad below. What do you guys think? Any thing I should know about the Royal Stars? Is the clutch action better than on the 650s?

2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe - Price Drop!!

2007 V-Star 650 Custom - SOLD
2010 Vulcan 900 Custom - SOLD
2015 Yamaha Bolt

Last edited by dewdewyah; 09-27-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:09 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Looking at local prices for the same bike that is pretty reasonable for the age and mileage. Nice looking bike. New tires and a recent service is a plus. I would ask what the "Major service" was. Just to be sure it was not repair due to neglect or abuse.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 01:12 PM

Garage
That's a good price for it, You know it is a heavy bike that will run forever? The clutch is hydraulic no cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 01:22 PM

Garage
I gotta agree with my fellow members. Price is real good and it'll run forever. Definitely ask about the major service. It's a heavy bike, but very road worthy. Keep us posted, and feel free to visit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 AM

Don't think you can go wrong there. I'd go for it.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:43 PM

Those are "bullet proof" bikes and will run forever.

Things to consider ... rear shock leaking, 4 carbs that need to be balanced every so often, clutch basket "whine", clean and lube the "pumpkin" splines and torque pins aka "dampeners" at each rear tire change.

Balancing the carbs is pretty simple once a guy gets the "hang of it". You need an inexpensive (appx $100) carb balancer and a long phillips screwdriver.

Some of these bikes have a real annoying whine produced by the primary and clutch basket gears. Ride it to find out if it does. There's not much you can do to "fix" it. some have by replacing the clutch basket with what's called an " I " basket but that's a hit-and-miss.

Squeaking or "chirping" from the differential when rolling very slow... sometimes only heard rolling backwards, indicate the dampeners are dry and need to be cleaned and lubed.

On some years / bikes, it's been known that the rear shock fails. Do some research on this.

That's a great price; however, I'd thoroughly check it out for the shock and the whine.

A great forum to visit that has a LOT of info about these bikes (besides this one of course) is venturerider dot org

I notice it has aftermarket mufflers.

2005 Road Star Midnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode