Roadliner engine questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jonathan Norris
  • 2 Post By Goobzilla
  • 2 Post By Towersx
  • 2 Post By Jonathan Norris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Roadliner engine questions

I apologize if this is a redundant question. I did a search and didn't come up with any info.

My Roadliner has just over 80k on the odometer. I bought the bike used at a dealership with just over 74k. Everything was smooth sailing up until a couple weeks ago. The first symptoms were a strange, metallic, clicking kind-of noise when I would occasionally push the engine up to around 4000ish rpm. 4000 is really a guess because when it's pulling that hard the last thing I'm doing is looking straight down at the tach. So let's call it 4000. I did immediately back off when I heard the noise. I did replicate the noise a couple time after that just to verify what I heard and I'm certain that the noise exists at higher rpms. Second symptom to reveal itself is weird idle speeds. Some times it idles just fine at 1000 rpm. Other times it barely stays alive at 500 rpm. Then there are times when it idles high at 1300 or so. Third symptom that showed up about the same time as the weird idle is hard starting....sometimes. I can attempt to start it up at 6 am after sitting all night and it might stumble and die. On the second attempt it fires right up and is mostly good to go with some slight popping and the occasional stall. Other mornings it will fire right up like there's nothing wrong. Then again, if I ride for 50 miles non-stop and pull over to get gas, it will be hard to start again. Taking 3 or 4 attempts sometimes.

So talking with a few shops around town, they asked about when my valves were last done. Since I have only put 7000 miles on the bike myself, I have no clue when or if that was ever done. And with the $1000 quotes I've been getting to do the job (if it needs it), I'm probably going to just take a couple days and do the job myself. I've already cleaned the air filter (it was disgusting) so I'm familiar with removing the tank and all of that hassle.

Question #1; Based on the symptoms listed above, what is your opinion of what could be causing my issues?

Question #2; If you have inspected/adjusted your own valves, how hard of a job was it? I'm ok with a tool set but didn't go to MMI or anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:01 PM

http://mazko.net/docs/bikers/XV1900-...AIR-MANUAL.pdf

The information you need is on pages 3-4 thru 3-7. Should be hydraulically adjusted, but you can surely check and adjust if necessary.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:24 PM

Garage
Check out the Liner Wiki here for more info:

Valve Adjust & Throttle Sync - LinerWiki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

So if I understand it right, the hydraulic valves should never need adjusting....in theory. If that's the case, they why would we have to inspect them every 16k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode