Roadliner Preload setting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
IM140.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 120
Garage
Question Roadliner Preload setting

I just installed the PCS slam package (bones and spring) and set the preload to 6.5". Seems a little tight and high. If I go to the maximum of 6.73" how much more lower will fender go?

On a related note, the manual shows "standard" and "maximum" preload is the same (see attached pic)? What issues would I have if I go to 7"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-20 23_16_58-LIT-11626-22-32_Roadliner_Mid_1576.pdf.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	70521  

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
IM140.6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 48
I'm waiting for my kit to arrive in the mail how difficult was the install any tips or tricks as I take this on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimboski10 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
IM140.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 120
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboski10 View Post
I'm waiting for my kit to arrive in the mail how difficult was the install any tips or tricks as I take this on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not too difficult but takes time. A bunch of exhaust and muffler disassembly, then getting those 2 bolts out, and raising/lowering bike to get spring assembly out. Once it's out, you can loosen the spring tensioner and the spring slides right off - super easy! Really though, it just takes a bit of time.

Oh, there's a bushing on the right side of the engine bolt that you will not reinstall. Let me know if any questions come up during installation, I'd be glad to help.

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
IM140.6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM140.6 View Post
Not too difficult but takes time. A bunch of exhaust and muffler disassembly, then getting those 2 bolts out, and raising/lowering bike to get spring assembly out. Once it's out, you can loosen the spring tensioner and the spring slides right off - super easy! Really though, it just takes a bit of time.



Oh, there's a bushing on the right side of the engine bolt that you will not reinstall. Let me know if any questions come up during installation, I'd be glad to help.


Thank you! Thank you!! I am hoping the directions are legible and easy to follow.....I have lowered a Roadstar before, but think the Roadliner may be a bit more involved. I will keep an eye out for that busing...not sure which that is, but I am sure it will be in the directions.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jimboski10 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
IM140.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 120
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboski10 View Post
Thank you! Thank you!! I am hoping the directions are legible and easy to follow.....I have lowered a Roadstar before, but think the Roadliner may be a bit more involved. I will keep an eye out for that busing...not sure which that is, but I am sure it will be in the directions.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here ya go (attached diagram):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-23 09_15_08-BA-7500-21_-_INSTALLATION_GUIDE.pdf - [_] - SumatraPDF.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	71537  

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
IM140.6 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 48
Thank you!!!
jimboski10 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 48
What did you come up with on best way to set preload before reinstallng back in bike? (or after)? Getting ready to start my slam kit tonight.
jimboski10 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
IM140.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 120
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboski10 View Post
What did you come up with on best way to set preload before reinstallng back in bike? (or after)? Getting ready to start my slam kit tonight.
I put the nuts in the same position as they were and installed the assembly. Then I realized there was too much preload so I lifted bike and kept releasing preload until I got it to a spot I liked. Basically, trial and error. LOL
IM140.6 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 48
Thank you! So...got the new one back in...had one heck of a time trying to get the front bolt to line up and go back in...but I got it. I set the new spring at about 6 3/8" measure (about the highest setting on stock spring)...since I guess the new spring is about 3/8" shorter? Looks like that setting dropped my tail by about 1"-1.25". Have not ridden yet. I am wondering why I have not gotten the 1.75" drop on the back (measurement with bike on kickstand and wheel turned to left measuring ground to bottom of fender). I was at about 14" before the swap....not about 12.9"
jimboski10 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
IM140.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 120
Garage
Congrats on your mod! Yeah, that front bolt was a bit of a pain.

Yes, your observation is correct: new spring is shorter. You may want to release some of the preload so you can drop it more. It's up to you and your comfort and whether you ride 2-up.

Have any pictures?

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
IM140.6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome