Stratoliner Exhaust Opinion - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Stratoliner Exhaust Opinion

2010 Stratoliner Deluxe....I want to remove the stock exhaust. Looking for something loud (not get tickets and arrested loud)...throaty and rumbling both on hard acceleration and on cruising (dare I say like a harley...uggg :-).

I am looking at Cobra, Vance and Hines and Freedom Racing Duals....I really like the look of the Duals on the bike, but really more about the sound.

What thoughts might the forum have on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 04:34 PM

Garage
I have the D&D Slip-On muffler. It has a good, throaty, sound. Not too loud. With the slip-on, you get to keep the EXUP value for OEM performance design.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Towersx! What is the benefit of the EXUP valve staying on?
Was install difficult? Any noticeable performance gain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:01 PM

Garage
The EXUP valve is in the exhaust and works as designed by Yamaha to enhance performance with the ECU programming. If you are to replace the whole exhaust system, you will also need a power commander to maximize performance. A slip-on exhaust, like D&D, will keep OEM performance while providing a louder tone. And it is a lot less costly and easy to install.

Check the Liner Wiki for more detail:
Exhaust - LinerWiki

I have two bikes, a 2012 Stratoliner Deluxe (with D&D slip-on) and a 2012 Roadliner S (with OEM exhaust). The Strat Deluxe sounds louder but they both run awesome.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:08 PM

I like loud pipes (have big shots on my Harley) but I put the V&H Pro Pipe on my last strat and it was just an annoying drone on longer rides. Tried the quiet baffle but that was too quiet, no deep rumble. Sounded like a 650 lol

I have the Rush slip-on this time round and I like it. Nice and loud when you're on it but not obnoxious on the motorway.

2013 Yamaha Stratoliner
2010 Harley Superglide Custom
2001 Yamaha XJR1300SP
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 AM

Personally I'd keep the stock system. I had a D&D but with the EXUP the only sound difference that I noticed was when the throttle was opened. The D&D was not as deep as factory. Removing the EXUP cuts low end back pressure and torque so I keep it on.

I have heard several different pipes on the strat and have to say that the factory is the deepest, not the loudest, but the deepest sound. I think Yamaha did a good job with can. It may have some glass pack that burns out because after running it har it does get a bit louder that new.

You will never get the HD sound due to engine configuration. If you want HD sound you need a HD.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

I went with the Tru Duals....Ivan airbox mod and ECU reflash....really liking the performance and the sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:02 PM

Those freedom duals have the best sound IMO but i wanted to keep the stock EXUP syatem on

I too went with RUSH slip on, and it is a good improvement. Sounds great going up thru the gears but not loud on the hiway.

If you want something that sounds better than a Harley get a Road Star and slap some Vance and Hines long shots on it. My 99 below

Ride Safe!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode