What type of fuel programmer is recommended? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Mrdub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

What type of fuel programmer is recommended?

I just purchased a 2006 Stratoliner with Cobra pipes. Does not have a fuel programmer so I'm wondering what others are out there running and what's the Pros or cons of Power Commander versus Cobra programmer? I was also told by a bike shop there's another other brand out there that adjusts on-the-fly and does not require manual adjustment. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 AM

My experience with Cobra Pro is riding buds 08 Strat is slower than my stock 2013 and gets pretty close to same mileage.

According to the guru's over on Delphi forum, save your money......or spend it on Ivan's ICU reflash.

My opinion is just save your money.

2013 Colbalt Blue Strat
2009 Stratoliner (new Nov 2011) (retired 2017)
Darkside #115
Venture trunk/backrest
Lindy Hwy Bar
Flanders Touring Bar
Yamaha Light bar w/DayMaker LED lamps
350LM Garmin GPS
Volt gauge
Ultimate seat
Rivco passenger boards
Stebel horn
Braided clutch & brake cables
Clearview windshield w/Memphis shade lowers
SS Cycle oil pressure guage
Superbright 10W LEDS mounted on crashbar
Bridgestone Ecopia 215/55R-17 w/Pirelli Night Dragon front
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 AM

It depends on your goals,it will run ok as is, but on the lean side, since that is how the ecu is setup from the factory.

Ivans ECU flash adjusts a lot more things than just the mapping, but it doesn't go crazy with the map, so while it's normally good enough, it is not going be tuned for max power, and you would want to add a unit for that.

If you want to tune the bike for max power, and damned fuel mpg, then yes, you will need one of them. If you want to adjust it on the fly, to get better mpg, but switch to power when you want to, I think the pc will let you do dual maps, or the cobra bluetooth version so you can adjust it at will. But the only benifits from these will be more power and lower running temps.

cobra programmer just gives you a few points of adjustments (low, mid, high), the pc lets you change the whole mapping everywhere, and you can get an autotune module for the pc if you don't want to make your own map (might need to change the o2 sensor with a wideband sensor for this to work with the autotuner).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:52 AM

Garage
Depending on your goals.. Ivan's is your best place to start.. price out the PCVC and the Cobra but also price compare to getting Ivan's Ecu Tune.. I'd start with Ivan's and than look at Fuel tuners.. the tuners will be less expansive but the biggest gains will be the ECU tune. I'm waiting to see what my Vstar1300 will be like with the tune.. I have the Cobra Fi2000r on my bike now and the gains with the air intake and exhaust we phenominal.. the tune is supposed to be even better and I'm told i can remove the FMS now with the Tune. So price out your options.. but if the difference is like my situation under $125 between FMS Cobra Fi2000r and the Tune.. (which i only found the tune in the last year after i had the FMS.. I'd go with the tune first.

Ivan's tune is $375 us.. Ivan's Performance Products
He also sells different FMS.

Just my 0.02 and being canadian .. that's 0.017 american now ..LOL
lesblank and lesblank like this.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I mean, I'm okay with the way it runs right now... mydogg 1st cruiser! Also, I do live in the Metro Phoenix area and I'm not going to ride it when it's a 100+ outside. I just want to make sure she's as reliable as can be and running in top form.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 AM

Garage
Mydogg64..

You final comment that you just want it to run in top form...

Check out Ivan's. you can spend $500+ on a self adjusting fuel tuner or just get Ivan to fix the issues and not have to worry if the FMS is working right or adjusting for hot or cold or hills or elevation.

Just my $0.02 if you want to spend for tuning. Do it right the first time I didn't so i was always playing as the Cobra Fi2000r has adjustable pots.. temperature was always an issue and like you I always wanted it to run right so I was always popping my seat to tweak it.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode