Slip on exhaust - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Slip on exhaust

Looking at buying a 4 inch slip on exhaust made by Roadhouse. Going on my 07 Stratoliner. Wondering if a fuel management system is needed. Trying to get around one buying on if I can. Has anybody got any information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 PM

Stock ECU

AS I understand the stock Electronic control unit can handle the change. I am not sure if this will still be true if you remove baffles or also change air intake. By using a slip on you will keep the Ex-Up valve. This will aid low end torque but mean the really loud sound won't happen untill the valve is open.

It would be my opinion that my stock exhaust got slightly louder as I put some miles on it. I assume this to be true with aftermarket also. Just in case that would affect your decission.

Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Slip ons

Thanks, Dave
Trying to save money, don't want the loud straights, just looking for a little more rumble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:27 PM

i think liner dave is right. my strat seems to be getting louder. i bought it this spring, brand new 2007. i have put 11,000 mi on it this year. i still want it somewhat louder though. i've heard different things about the tuning. i think even if the stock setup can handle it you will still be getting the lean factory settings. i wish there was a way to make the factory muffler louder. i like the stock setup.

Last edited by TheBrain; 12-05-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: missed milage
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM

I just put on a Roadhouse 4in slip on and noticed a considerable difference in power and a very nice rumble. It is slightly louder than stock during normal driving condition, but when you open it up you will hear her roar. I road with it without a programmer, but was getting some backfiring and wanted more. So I put on a PC III and K&N and noticed even more power. I have customed my map for my bike to get the most out of it w/o hitting the dyno for now. You will love the pipe whether or not you put a PC III on it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleG View Post
Looking at buying a 4 inch slip on exhaust made by Roadhouse. Going on my 07 Stratoliner. Wondering if a fuel management system is needed. Trying to get around one buying on if I can. Has anybody got any information?
I have a Roadhouse Slip-on in perfect condition for sale.

[email protected]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taschoeberl View Post
I just put on a Roadhouse 4in slip on and noticed a considerable difference in power and a very nice rumble. but was getting some backfiring So I put on a PC III and K&N and noticed even more power. I have customed my map for my bike to get the most out of it w/o hitting the dyno for now. You will love the pipe whether or not you put a PC III on it.
I was planning the same pipe for the new strat I just got ordered its an 09. The popping or backfiring did it go away completely with the power commander ( I think my year wants the pcV) do I need it when I add the k&n filter or can I wait and see how it runs?

Thanks
Paul

ps sorry if jacking just looking for more answers to same thread.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:14 AM

Roadhouse popping and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by taschoeberl View Post
I just put on a Roadhouse 4in slip on and noticed a considerable difference in power and a very nice rumble. I road with it without a programmer, but was getting some backfiring and wanted more. So I put on a PC III and K&N and noticed even more power. I have customed my map for my bike to get the most out of it w/o hitting the dyno for now. You will love the pipe whether or not you put a PC III on it.
Mine backfires also. the exhaust hose clamp stripped out on me when i put it on. i bought it used and the clamp was in rough shape when i got it. anyway, i figured the popping was coming from air leaking into the exhaust and re-igniting the extra fuel. some people dont like the popping or backfiring but if the sound is right, like crackling not just one big backfire then it is cool. i was going to try and leave the stock computer in place and have already put in a K&N filter. i might look at modifing the stock airbox instead of doing the big air kit. some time the factory stuff has some fantastic engineering to them and to change to an air filter will actualy lose you power. this was common on 1970's era RD350 and RD400 Twin Cylinder 2 strokes, people would disconnect the air filter box and put on single filters thinking they would get more airflow. what they lost was the fact that everytime the piston moved down there was a shock wave generated that bounced back a supersonic wave that created a ram air effect on the next cyclinder that was opening up. remember Yamaha is a musical instrument manufacturing company and every yamaha is a finely tuned instrument in itself. No Honda, No Kawasaki, No Harley can make this claimb to excellence. thats why you have 3 tuning forks in the Yamaha symbol. when i chaged the airfilter i noticed the arrangement of the fuel injector bodies and how they sat in the air box and how the airbox itself was a hugh plenum. i am going to assume the factory has already done a hugh amount of harmonic tuning to this and i had just better leave it alone or i might lose something very important. maybe just open up the inlets a smidge on the top cover. besides i can by a used stock airbox on ebay for cheap if i screw it up somehow. so i figure if i have excess fuel making my bike pop a bit, i'm fine. did your mileage drop from the PC III? i have heard quit a bit of ups and downs to this. some say same milage and more power. some say more power but worse mileage. i think if i leave the stock comp in place if its not to lean then at least i cant burn up the motor. is the PCIII worth it?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 PM

Air box

Brain,
You are one of the few people that I have seen say they like a little popping in the exhaust. I agree, I like it too. you may well be right about the air thing.

On the air box, I have seen a few simply install a K&N filter, then leave the top off the air box. Take up the space on the screws that the top took up with washers. Not sure but I think the air box was a little restrictive to reduce intake noise. You can always go back with this mod. there will be an increase of intake noise. Some felt they could see an increase of performance with this mod.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode