Certainly not a rookie but have a rookie problem. Bleeding brakes on my 2009 Roadie - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Certainly not a rookie but have a rookie problem. Bleeding brakes on my 2009 Roadie

Got new tires for my bike and the gut tells me I should change my brake fluid. I have done this a few times in my life but I am stuck here. Did the left side the old fashioned way of pumping brake up, holding, cracking zirt, closing, repeat. No issues. Left side..... Got some fluid then nothing. Went and bought a vacuum pump for bleeding and I can't get fluid down to save my life! Trying gravity bleed for two days now. Fear I have a clog or something and Laughlin is next week!!!! Any experts with advice????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:13 PM
KCW

Garage
Does the left side caliper seem to be working? I'm not sure how to tell unless you take the caliper off the rotor and see if the pads move. (Edit: after reading this again its a dumb question - if you cant bleed fluid thru the brake caliper cannot possibly be doing anything).

Sometimes brake hoses fail on the inside and collapse and act like a check valve. I have seen this on cars where the pressure goes into the caliper, but the hose blocks the fluid from coming back out, and the brake drags and cooks the rotor. Replaced the hose to the wheel and it fixed the dragging caliper.

I guess it could happen the other way, the hose could collapse and keep the fluid from going down to bleed out. Maybe your left caliper has not been working for a while, it would be a hard thing to notice.

I have to assume you kept the reservoir full. Getting air in the master cylinder can be a nightmare.

Last edited by KCW; 04-19-2018 at 09:16 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:13 PM

watch the first few minutes of this,it may not start at the beginning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:36 PM
KCW

Garage
Leroy, just to be clear you were able to bleed the left front caliper with no issues, and you are getting no fluid from the right front caliper?

your post says 'left' a couple times but never mentions right or rear...

the only other thing I can think of is to check where the left and right brake hoses tee off from the hose that goes up to the brake cylinder on the handle bar. Make sure one of the hose fittings has not gotten twisted off from where it should be, blocking the fluid passage opening.

BTW Ive never had any luck with those hand - vacuum pumps. They always seem to suck air through the threads on the bleeder valve.

Last edited by KCW; 04-19-2018 at 09:47 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:44 PM

Garage
Did you keep the reservoir topped up when you were bleeding.?? Could be an air pocket locking the master or you have a master cyl that went bad.. We don't have abs or anything like that on the 1300.

Did you try pulling the bleeder screw out all the way .. could be dirt in it blocking the hole. You don't have the speed bleeder screws do you ?? they only work when you press the brake lever after they are loosened off.

The other thing to try is reverse bleeding using a syringe to put it backwards from the caliper to the reservoir.
KCW and KCW like this.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Right side front bled ok. Lost all front when trying to bleed the left side. Have not touched the rear! Haha. Gotta have 1 brake working!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 PM
KCW

Garage
that sounds like the master cylinder is sucking air / ran dry.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 PM
KCW

Garage
or maybe the bleeder valve is not sealing on the left side. You opened it and some fluid came out, and now its just pushing air out and sucking it back in, as if it was left open?

If that is what is happening, if you take the bleeder valve out and put your finger over its hole in the caliper, and pump the brake lever, it should pump fluid down and your finger should keep it from sucking air back in.

Get lots of rags first and don't let the brake fluid get all over your rotor, wheel or tires.

Last edited by KCW; 04-19-2018 at 10:04 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:09 PM
KCW

Garage
another thing to check - could be a bad thing - make sure you got the right DOT brake fluid for your bike.

Different numbers are not compatible - some will ruin the seals in the cylinder or caliper if they are not compatible.

DOT 3 and 4 can be mixed and are compatible, and that should be what your bike uses. If you got something else it could cause problems. When I flushed the front brakes on my 650 last time, I sucked all the old fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster, then filled it with DOT 4, and bleed it down through till it came out clear from the caliper. I think it had DOT 3 originally - 4 is a backwards compatible synthetic brake fluid.

Last edited by KCW; 04-19-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode