Said goodbye to the Stratty, welcomed home a 2012 FLHTK. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mad_Jasper
  • 3 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Yamaha Pat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Said goodbye to the Stratty, welcomed home a 2012 FLHTK.

As much as I loved the power and look of the Stratty, I didn't ride as much as I thought. My wife checks in at 5'3" and 105, was never comfortable for more than 20-30 miles. That in and of itself wasn't a major issue, but it was disappointing.

But as I explored options to hopefully meet her needs and my desire to make it more convenient for my 225 mile trip to my HQ, I decided that it was time to transition to a larger tourer. I found a great deal on a 2012 FLHTK with 19k miles and an extended warranty and I must say I am very happy. Lost a little on the power and style, but the comfort gains for the wife and I are well worth it.

My Stratty was a 2006 with 6700 miles and it was immaculate. I think it was pretty much sold in the parking before I walked in the door.

The Strattys were great bikes and I will certainly miss her.

Ride safe!
KCW and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 PM
KCW

Garage
No argument here. The stock passenger seat on a stratoliner is certainly not designed for touring.

More like "get this hot babe home before the alcohol wears off and she gets a good look at me!" so yeah 20-30 miles is about right.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
No argument here. The stock passenger seat on a stratoliner is certainly not designed for touring.

More like "get this hot babe home before the alcohol wears off and she gets a good look at me!" so yeah 20-30 miles is about right.
Lol, true. I did have Mustang seats but it just wasn't doing it for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
As much as I loved the power and look of the Stratty, I didn't ride as much as I thought. My wife checks in at 5'3" and 105, was never comfortable for more than 20-30 miles. That in and of itself wasn't a major issue, but it was disappointing.

But as I explored options to hopefully meet her needs and my desire to make it more convenient for my 225 mile trip to my HQ, I decided that it was time to transition to a larger tourer. I found a great deal on a 2012 FLHTK with 19k miles and an extended warranty and I must say I am very happy. Lost a little on the power and style, but the comfort gains for the wife and I are well worth it.

My Stratty was a 2006 with 6700 miles and it was immaculate. I think it was pretty much sold in the parking before I walked in the door.

The Strattys were great bikes and I will certainly miss her.

Ride safe!
Too bad you didn’t take a Yamaha SVTC for a ride. Especially with the wife because she would definitely have approved!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 PM

As long as you and your wife are happy and in the wind all is good.
Diogenes415 likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Too bad you didnít take a Yamaha SVTC for a ride. Especially with the wife because she would definitely have approved!
I don't know about that. Sounds like you have some first hand experience that there may be some pains involved in jumping on the SVTC bandwagon early.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkwns View Post
Quote:
Too bad you didn’t take a Yamaha SVTC for a ride. Especially with the wife because she would definitely have approved!
I don't know about that. Sounds like you have some first hand experience that there may be some pains involved in jumping on the SVTC bandwagon early. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
I know what you’re saying, but my current struggles have not deterred my overall opinion of the bike. It’s a first year release of a brand new model AND I have a low production line s/n. I was under no illusions that there would not be issues that may pop up.
I will say that both Yamaha and my dealership “Team Charlotte Motorsports” have truly been stellar in addressing ANY concerns I’ve had.
It truly is a wonderful ride!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Garage
Very understandable why you traded up. My wife loves riding and rarely complains but I know that hard rock Yamaha calls a passenger seat can't be all that comfortable. She claims she doesn't want a touring bike, in spite of the obvious leap forward in comfort.

Even though you went over to the dark side I hope you still pop in occasionally.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I know what youíre saying, but my current struggles have not deterred my overall opinion of the bike. Itís a first year release of a brand new model AND I have a low production line s/n. I was under no illusions that there would not be issues that may pop up.
I will say that both Yamaha and my dealership ďTeam Charlotte MotorsportsĒ have truly been stellar in addressing ANY concerns Iíve had.
It truly is a wonderful ride!
I think also, Chief, that your bike (as supported by the lack of any other reported mechanical failures) might be the 'exception to the rule'. My serial is 042, and is running perfectly, quiet, strong,...so...hopefully, that failed lifter, has you 'paying the dues' one time only. The good 'news'...is that you have a lifter and cam shaft newer and with less miles, than the rest of us pack of '500'. Humor, is the best lubricant of all....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode