Pre Purchase Inspection tips, 2006 Stratoliner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By kc61

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
SD1

Pre Purchase Inspection tips, 2006 Stratoliner

As the title states. Bike is in good condition, but has 50k miles, price is pretty decent, not a complete steal, that said, what to look for? I know about the 3rd gear issue, is there any telltale sign of impending doom on the trans? or any other problem areas I should be looking for?

I don't typically buy bikes with miles but there arent too many floating around.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Garage
This is not the best time of the year to buy. In the fall, people are almost giving away their bikes.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Garage
How long of a test ride are you able to do? I would want at least a good hour on the bike. If a test ride isn't an option, I personally would walk. That isn't an unacceptable amount of miles if the deal is right. Short of inspecting the gears, which would obviously require disassembly, I don't think you'll be able to detect potential doom especially if the bike is shifting smoothly through the gears. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:31 PM
KCW

Garage
I googled the 3rd gear issue, apparently on the stratoliner and the roadstar for a couple years.

that is pretty scary stuff. Also the thing about the front pulley unscrewing itself, the rear fender wobbling and fatiguing, tappets failing... I didn't realize Roadstars had all those production issues. I have been thinking of getting a roadstar, now I will have to make a list of the years they had problems and be aware of what to watch out for.

Consumer Reports surveys indicate that Vstar bikes are the most reliable MCs on the market, esp the 'mid size' cruiser bikes. I guess this explains that, if the 1600 and 1700 engines had some known issues....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:15 AM

I have had an 06, 07 and currently a 14 Strat and zero issues with any of them. Don't over think it, they are great bikes.
lesblank and outbackzack like this.

2014 Stratoliner S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode