Used strato new troubles - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Used strato new troubles

I have a 2006 stratoliner s with 33000 miles now new development intermittent idle surge not bad just a couple hundred rpm. Also feels like it's bogging down sometimes too but only if you hold constant steady throttle . Any thoughts would be appreciated thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:03 PM

I'd start with the easy stuff like air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs. They probably need to be changed anyway. Maybe run some Seafoam through it.
KCW likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:17 PM
KCW

Garage
Seafoam!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:21 PM

Garage
All the above, plus. Surging is hard to diagnose at times. I would start with the free stuff. A vacuum leak can cause an intake vacuum leak. The way I check, spray Carb cleaner around intake, does the RPM increase, if so you found your leak. Be careful if you use this testing method, if you were to spray on exhaust it could ignite and things will get ugly. A failing TPS sensor can also be a cause. TPS can be tested with ohm meter. Here is testing procedure.
[url=https://ibb.co/i2Vnjo]
Another simple issue could be clogged injectors, a good injector cleaner might fix that. Once you start testing things let us know the outcome. If you need the service manual here is a free link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://mazko.net/docs/bikers/XV1900-RoadlinerStratoliner06-09REPAIR-MANUAL.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiw-oKa2PLbAhVBXawKHenyAhQQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2tBh 7CzBXoO3PnwkVxyArv
KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 06-26-2018 at 08:29 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips I will be working on it some tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. I did forget to mention that after about an hour of riding two days ago when I shut it down I noticed a gurgling sound coming from what sounded like the gas tank. It was really hot outside and bike was parked in the sun thought it could be venting but have never heard it from another FI bike. Any thoughts there?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:09 PM
KCW

Garage
is it possible the fuel tank vent is plugged, and the fuel pump creates a vacuum in the tank when I is running?

I heard that can happen on some newer Ford cars. The 16 gallon tank is made of plastic, the vent closes off, and the fuel pump sucks the gas tank down to about 2 gallons of capacity (crushed). When the tank is empty you try to fill it, and it will only take 2 gallons.

If your fuel tank is not venting correctly the fuel pressure will be low on an injected engine, and it will not run right.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

That's a thought on the vent tube will have to check that too
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:14 PM
KCW

Garage
if you pull the gas cap loose, and it makes a sucking noise, or that makes the bike start to run correctly... thats it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Thought I would give y'all an update. After air filter change spark plugs and oil change bike is running much smoother and stronger. I didn't find any horrible wear to any of the plugs and the air filter wasn't bad although I did not verify plug gap on the old plugs. I did however find a boot that appeared to be misaligned between the airbox and the throttle body.repaired that and it seems to have leveled the idle out. That's what I've found so far will keep y'all updated if problem returns
lesblank likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior12 View Post
Thought I would give y'all an update. After air filter change spark plugs and oil change bike is running much smoother and stronger. I didn't find any horrible wear to any of the plugs and the air filter wasn't bad although I did not verify plug gap on the old plugs. I did however find a boot that appeared to be misaligned between the airbox and the throttle body.repaired that and it seems to have leveled the idle out. That's what I've found so far will keep y'all updated if problem returns
Glad you figured it out. It's always nice when the easy things fix it.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode