Stratoliner brake issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Roadwarrior12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Stratoliner brake issue

Okay guys it appears that the small clips that hold the brake pad and pad support in place with the larger pin broke off allowing the pin to move sideways enough for the pad support and the outer brake pad to fall out . My question other than the dealership where do you guys get your parts like that. Also on the parts diagram I don't see the pad shims listed separately do those usually come with the new pads? Any tips advice or anything else is appreciated thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:12 PM
KCW

Garage
bikebandit.com and a couple other websites have OEM parts, and they have drawings of the entire motorcycle, by category, that show you each part in an assembly (like the front brakes), what each part is named, and the part number and price if they sell it.
redcat likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:40 PM

Garage
My local dealer price matches, so if I find an OEM part online which is usually cheaper and show them the site and price they will match it. I'd start by checking with your dealer to see if they will match the price. Not 100% but I believe the last set of brake pads I bought came with shims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
bikebandit.com and a couple other websites have OEM parts, and they have drawings of the entire motorcycle, by category, that show you each part in an assembly (like the front brakes), what each part is named, and the part number and price if they sell it.
What he ^ said.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

So got the parts today got home noticed the new brake pads did not come with shims are the really necessary ?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Okay just to update parts on initial road test successful going out for a slightly longer ride very soon. So for now atleast all is well . Thanks for all the tips and help from everyone
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:58 AM
KCW

Garage
surprised no one answered your question about the shims. Seems like most people are out riding this time of year and not hanging out on the forum.

did you get shims or put it together without them? If it were me I would have tried it without them and forget about it later.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Decided to go without the shims (rattle clips) whatever you wanna call em lol. I've done it many times on older cars when the clips were just worn out. Just cleaned and lubed then reassembled all seems good so just gonna ride on.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode