More strato woes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

More strato woes

Okay guys I have my 2006 Stratoliner pretty much stock except for a slip on exhaust it was added by the previous owner I have about 38,000 miles on it now and it has an intermittent problem with bogging down or skipping it seems to be mostly at steady throttle and it doesn't do it all the time it seems to be more in the 60 to 70 mile an hour range than anywhere else that coupled with the fact that I I'm only getting about a hundred and twenty miles out of a tank of gas makes me wonder whether I should be looking at fuel or electrical I suppose it could be the valves need adjusting or maybe the throttle bodies are out of sync but I would like to find some cheaper alternatives first any thoughts are appreciated thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM
KCW

Garage
The obvious question is where are you in the maintenance schedule? Are you due for plugs, air filter, valve check/adjustment, fuel filter... ?

Has this been going on for a while and getting worse? Could it be just one tank of bad gas - that could be fixed with some SeaFoam.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Just had air filter plugs and oil change done. Nothing abnormal noted there. It's been going on for about two weeks. Can't say it's getting worse. To give you an example. Left for work this morning bike started right up pulled out on my road bike accelerated smoothly all the way to the end of my road got out onto the main road accelerated smoothly and if not slightly rapidly because of traffic reach speed of 60 miles an hour maybe more like 65 this holding steady throttle riding and it kind of started bogging down for lack of a better way to describe it if I lightly and I mean very lightly like it doesn't even change the speed of the bike open the throttle it seems to correct the problem but only until I hold the throttle steady again stopped at the local gas station got a cup of coffee hop back on the bike bike started right up drive the rest of the way to work with no problems max steady speed of about 55mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

I have not tried sea foam yet going to add that to next fill up. I've only had the bike about 2 months
KCW likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:00 AM
KCW

Garage
Try the seafoam and track your mpgs as accurately as you can for a few tanks of fuel. Its a good indication of how well the bike is running.

I have been experimenting with running ethanol free gas, 87 regular, in my 650. I have not gotten any change in mpgs, but I have noticed the bike feels a bit more responsive with the pure gas than with the 10% ethanol.

Its just a feeling on the throttle - with the pure gas you put some pressure on the throttle and the acceleration is right there. With the 10% ethanol I feel like I need to twist the throttle a bit and there is a bit of lag before the engine responds.

Its that real or is it all in my head - its hard to say.

The only other thing I can suggest if you think the engine is getting a bit off is to check the compression (if you have the gauge).

Your bike has hydraulic lifters, but the intake and exhaust valve pairs each work off one single lifter. So it is possible for one valve to become a bit off from the other, but from what I have read its pretty rare.

Its also a lot of work to check them, you have to take a lot of stuff off the bike to get to the tappet covers, and then if a valve is off its a bit complex to get it to match the other one.

Just a possible answer. See how it runs with the seafoam, and see if you can make any kind of measurable reading that you can track (mpgs or compression....).

Last edited by KCW; 07-31-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
... could be fixed with some SeaFoam.
I see the SeaFoam salesman has made an appearance.
KCW likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:15 AM
KCW

Garage
If I was the head of SeaFoam sales, I would give the first bottle away for free

go ahead, try a few ounces in your tank. All your cool friends are 'using' it. You want to be cool dont you?

Fixing a motorcycle with SeaFoam really is like the Veterinarians handbook "how to care for Horses".

broken leg: shoot the horse
Blurred vision: shoot the horse
Cracked hoof: shoot the horse
Missing teeth: shoot the horse...
Elk and Scrumdown like this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-31-2018 at 10:18 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
If I was the head of SeaFoam sales, I would give the first bottle away for free

go ahead, try a few ounces in your tank. All your cool friends are 'using' it. You want to be cool dont you?

Fixing a motorcycle with SeaFoam really is like the Veterinarians handbook "how to care for Horses".

broken leg: shoot the horse
Blurred vision: shoot the horse
Cracked hoof: shoot the horse
Missing teeth: shoot the horse...
That's pretty good lol. I do like sea foam and I don't suppose I could hurt. I already have some I had for an old riding mower I have so worth a try I guess
KCW likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
I think we found the reason why the bike was for sale in the first place. Modified exhaust is often the culprit. You just can't change the exhaust back pressure without doing other things to the intake system. Changing the exhaust system actually means that you are "de-tuning" the motor. The original exhaust and intake go hand in hand with the good operation of the motor without it being too noisy.
wimg, KCW and Scrumdown like this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:05 PM
KCW

Garage
how much the aftermarket exhaust affects the engine depends on how radical the exhaust is

A slip on 'muffler' that is just louder but still has some baffles wont affect the engine much by itself. It will barely increase the HP, and you can often get away with the stock jets.

To get a noticeable increase in HP you have to also open up the intake air filter and plumbing. Then you will need to change the jets and the PMscrews to allow more gas to match the increased air flow thru the engine.

There are lookup tables for different intake and exhaust mods that will tell you which jets to use and how far to turn out the PMscrews.

If you put straight pipes on the exhaust, no baffles, then you can lose HP. It gets complicated at that point.

You should be able to get a good read on how well the jets and PMscrews are set looking at the plugs, if they are fouled out black, or if they are running hot and look like they are melting...melting... oh my world...what have you done?

Having said all that, if the bike was running ok for the last two months and now it seems like the performance is degrading, there has to be something else going on.

EDITED: looking back,... the bike is a 2006 stratoliner. Im not sure if it has carbs or fuel injection. If the bike is fuel injected then you need to re-map the ECM to give it more gas, or have it flashed with a new map by one of the websites that does this, to match the exhaust and intake/air filter on the bike. But still, if it was running ok last month, that should not be the issue.

Last edited by KCW; 07-31-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode