07 Strat, headlights and accessory lights don't work - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

07 Strat, headlights and accessory lights don't work

Ok Fellow Strat jocks. Got an electrical issue, pulled bike out to wash, didn't notice that headlights where not on, washed it, then realized no headlights or accessory lights, or hi beam indicator are also not working, checked all fuses, and replaced the 20 amp for headlights, fuse in headlight bowel for accessory lights. fuses good, next checked headlight relay, unbolted fender to move it back to get to the #52 headlight relay. What a pain. Anyway checked relay, it's working fine, ordered a new relay, installed same problem. Broke out the DVM, I have 12 volts on the connector in headlight bowel on green wire return from dimmer switch. still no headlights, removed relay, put a battery positive on the lead going to green wire from relay switch socket, both headlight hi/low work, also accessory light works. So wiring from relay is good to headlight/handlebar switches. Also tested each bulb in headlight, ground is good. Relay is clicking fine once engine starts but no headlights. I don't have any other ideas, just hoping it's not the ECU that sends the engine start signal to turn on the lights. I suspected to find a burnt wire, or corroded pins in connectors, didn't fine anything abnormal. Any idea's. Everything else is working normal. I'm stumped. Did learn that the schematic does not show the various connectors in the headlight bowel. They are easy to id, with wire colors from manual, also between the handle bar switches to main connector in bowel. Help, can't ride the beast without lights.

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 AM

If the relay is clicking on start, I wouldn't think the ECU is at fault.
In other words, the relay is getting the signal. That's what get out of what you are saying.
I have somewhat a similar problem. Every time I wash the bike my passing lamps stop working for a day.
I suspect in my case the switch gets wet.

At one time a had a problem with the headlamp. It worked fine when out of the bike but when you jam all that wiring into that cramped bucket, something would disconnect and I'd have to pull it apart again.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 AM
KCW

Garage
everyone always forgets the ground connection - if you have 12V to the headlight connector and the light is not on, then the ground wire or connection to the frame is broken or corroded.

Most vehicles use the metal frame of the bike as the power return 'wire'. It cuts the number of wires required on the vehicle in half.

Sometimes its easier for a circuit to use the ground return wire as the switch, so you can have 12V to the light, but if the other side is not being switched to ground it will be off.

Notably horns on cars are usually wired this way - Im not sure why, they run 12V right to the horn, then run the return(ground) wire up thru the steering column, and the horn button connects that wire to ground on the steering wheel.

When a motorcycle wont start, very often it is the ground wire from the battery to the frame, which normally bolts to the frame where you cant see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Good points about the grounding issues, I do get a good beep when checking between wiring black ground wires to the headlight bowel steel, but now wondering if there is another ground path going to the bike chassis. This has to be the culprit as every wire that I checked was in good condition, no corrosion or burnt spots, I was surprised that it's in such good physical condition since it's an 07 model, I purchased it in 2011, and have about 40K on it now. I'll find it and let everyone know what I find. Thanks.

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Like KCW says, the bucket needs to be grounded. Have did you try running a ground wire directly from the negative post on the battery and ground out the bucket? Inside the bucket there should be a tab welded to the bucket with a green ground wire attached. Maybe it got disconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Im not sure why, they run 12V right to the horn, then run the return(ground) wire up thru the steering column, and the horn button connects that wire to ground on the steering wheel.
Most likely simplicity. You only need to run a short hot wire to the horn and one ground wire from the horn button (steering column) to the horn rather than run a hot wire to the button and then run it to the horn from there as well. Also, I remember the older cars that wire would short out due to the rotating of the wheel and the horn kept blowing. You could cut that wire and stop the horn instead of blowing fuses.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys, I tore into the headlight bowel last night, gently pulled all the wire clips out towards the front, and do not see any kind of ground connection in the bowel, looked all around the rear and underneath the bowel, there are no green wires anywhere other than on the various connectors in the bowel. I have checked wiring from hi/low switch, and also the cruise light accessory wiring above the start button, had both of these switches opened up on the bars, get good continuity everywhere I need it. Have not found anything corroded or burnt. I am getting very familiar with the wiring method on this monster. I have the signal from the ECU that sits around zero volts then goes a bit negative, like a half volt when the engine starts, have constant 12vdc on the other relay coil wire. Good power to lights when I jumper across the relay connections with a wire with male spade lugs, both headlight and accessory lights come on fine. I do have good ground connectors in each of the cruising lamps, did find both 5 W bulbs blown, replaced them with 168's, The 192's someone else mentioned are only about 3Watts each. The main 35 watt bulbs in these lights are fine, and bright. I have also ran a temporary ground wire from the bowel to a ground point near the battery under the seat. still no luck. The lights will not work when I start the bike. But everything else is working fine. I don't really suspect the ECU but am wondering about it.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 PM
KCW

Garage
There was a thread a few months back about someone having wiring problems on their bike, and the question came up whether or not the motorcycle headlight comes on when you first turn on the ignition key, or if it does not come on until after you crank the starter and the engine starts.

On the older Vstar bikes the headlight is always on when the key is on. At some year they changed that on different models so the headlight would stay off (for whatever reason) until the engine was started - then it would stay on until the key is turned off.

So... if that is the case on your bike there is obviously some circuit or sensor that decides when the engine has started up, and it switches on the headlight.

I dont know what that circuit is, or how it decides the engine has started, but that seems to be the only thing left. If that is how the headlight works on your bike then something must have failed, and the ECM does not think the engine is running.

Or maybe this is really easy, and you have been debugging your headlight with the engine not running, in that case - get your motor running and see if the head light come one?

If you look into this you should be able to figure out which year Yamaha put this "feature" on your model bike. I have a 2005 650 and my headlight is always on. We did sort of a poll and people were posting which way their bikes are wired. If you search on 'headlight' you might be able to find that.

Sorry I dont have all the details, but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

Maybe if the ECM is wacked out you could reconnect the enable wire to the right place, and the headlight would always be on when the key is on?

Last edited by KCW; 08-16-2018 at 07:59 PM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Yes, my headlights only come on once the bike is started, and while testing stuff in the circuit, I am constantly starting the bike, the ground paths for the two light circuits are not simple grounded units, they each have a separate ground going back through the big harness running down the frame below the tank, stopping just in front of the battery area. I'm still looking. Don't really want to put this whole monster back together just to take it to a shop so they can take it apart again lol. Now my accessory light bar does have an individual ground in each small bowel. But ground and red (hot) from accessory switch is in a dual connector in the bowel, so this set of lights actually has two ground points. You did give my some good places to look. Maybe someone else will pop a memory related to this odd ball.
KCW likes this.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcody40 View Post
I have the signal from the ECU that sits around zero volts then goes a bit negative, like a half volt when the engine starts, have constant 12vdc on the other relay coil wire.
Are you saying the brown wire is hot? It should be. From what you say and from what I see on the wiring diagram, the headlight side of the relay seams to be working fine, ground and all. I think the problem leans toward the actual relay side of the relay. It looks like you should have a steady hot side, when the key is on, to the brown wire. The relay would be energized, turning the lamps on only when the ECU supplies the ground to the Yellow/Black wire. You say you are getting .5 volts w/engine running. I (just guessing) wouldn't think that is enough to make the relay work.

#79 is the 'signaling system fuse'. If that fuse is OK, it would send '+' to the relay side of the relay and also '+' to the horn (#50). If the horn works, that eliminates the fuse but you still need '+' on the brown relay wire.

Maybe supply '-' to the Y/B wire on the relay and see if the lights work. I don't know what the effect would be to the ECU, if it would hurt it or not but I'd try it.

You may end up putting a ground switch in to kill the lights when starting. WHY-OH-WHY didn't they just put a normal starter button in like other bikes where you press the button and it brakes the connection to the lights and returns it when the button is released?
KCW likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 AM
KCW

Garage
I would not back feed the control wire from the ECU to the relay.

If the control side of the relay works by keeping the high side on 12V all the time and the ECU grounds the other side to make the relay close (and turn on the lights), then disconnect the ground wire from the ECU and ground it. But dont ground it or put 12V on it while its still connected to the ECU, because you will be back-feeding an output from the ECU with power (or ground).

If the lights go on your relay is good, and the ECU is confused and does not think the motor is running when it is.

If you just ground that wire all the time, the headlights will always be on when the key is on, like about 50 million other motorcycles made since 1965.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode