Saint-John is back ... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Saint-John, aka my XV1900A Midnight Star (Roadliner) is back ...

Just had to share, that my XV1900A Midnight Star (Roadliner) is back from the shop, after the latest mods are now finished. And except for some minor stuff to be done during the winter stop, I think I can say all is done (famous last words).

Here she is now:

First 3 pictures taken at the Henri-Chapelle War Memorial (War Cemetery for fallen US soldiers in WWII) in Belgium, which is just across the border from where I live. I do visit the Memorial several times a year, to honour those who gave their lives so we can live in freedom, and in a democracy. The ride is inspiring as well, hilly landscape with amazing views.

The last two were taken at one of my favourite spots, where you arrive to a breathtaking view in all directions, after having taken some very tight hairpins on narrow country roads. Great exercise for bike handling.

Anyway, the most recent changes made to Saint-John were to overcome one of the most criticized points of the Strat/Roadliner, namely the relatively small capacity of the fuel tank. I hated to get around 200 km done, and then have to look around anxiously to find a gas station, so I acquired a used, slightly dented second tank from eBay, had it cut open on the sides and the front (the part pointed towards the handlebars), raised 12 cm at the front, welded plate steel into the opening, waterproofed, finished, sealed, pressure proofed and spray painted in the original design and colours. This way it actually looks like it rolled out of the factory like that, at least in my view. That is my philosophy (or rationale if you like) as well: do any customizations in such a way that it doesn't necessarily look like it was customized, but like it rolled of the factory line that way .

Over the past three years I have changed the bike for my own creature comforts and liking, allowing me to ride long(er) distances in comfort. The bike originally came with passenger floorboards, windscreen, highway bars, and a sissy bar, all Yamaha OEM add-ons. After some iterations it ended up with Paughco 14" ape hanger handle bars, Kuryakin handles with mechanical cruise control, braided stainless cables, Yamaha passing lights with Daymaker LED inserts and a mod allowing me to switch them on at off at will (not the standard over here), Ultimate saddle, Clearview windscreen, K&N air filter and PC Commander V with switch for 2 maps, one for low grunt in the hilly area around here, and one one for long distance touring with high fuel economy, a Wolo horn, Hyperpro progressive front fork springs, Wilbers adjustable rear load spring, Corbin side and top case set (fleetliner), a custom made protective bar at the rear (protection for Corbin set and to prevent the bike from toppling over completely, just in case ), and of course the new 30 liter (7.9 gallon) gas tank (increased from 16 liter, 4.2 gallon), with a custom made riser machined from a single block of aluminium, to compensate for the height increase of the tank, and to adjust the reach and height to perfection for my own comfort, and a GPS fixture to go with it. Oh, changed the brake pedal as well, planning on doing that with the gear lever as well. The OEM ones are hard to come by currently.

Anyway, it rides like a dream now, and all that is left to do are some final touches, like slightly extending the gas cables and front brake lines. They are ok, but I'd prefer them to loop more. The gear lever of course, and possibly chroming the risers - not sure about that yet. This will have to wait for the winter stop however. Some riding to be done first ....

Kind regards, Wim
Keith Post, Elk, lesblank and 2 others like this.

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)

Last edited by wimg; 08-20-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:33 AM

Garage
Hi Wim!
What a beautiful bike, tank really does look factory, very nicely done! You need to enter your bike in the bike of the month. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 AM

Garage
I agree, very nicely done!
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thank you kindly, both!

@Keith Post:
I'd like to enter it in the BotM. I assume that means starting a new topic for September? And I assume I can just link to this topic?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards, Wim
Keith Post likes this.

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)

Last edited by wimg; 08-20-2018 at 07:37 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:03 AM

Great Wim, just great! I like the tank extension. I was out yesterday and desperately looking for fuel in a remote area. A larger fuel capacity would have been great then. Nice job!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Tank extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBucTwo View Post
Great Wim, just great! I like the tank extension. I was out yesterday and desperately looking for fuel in a remote area. A larger fuel capacity would have been great then. Nice job!
Thank you! I have wanted tank extensions for over 30 years, so finally decided to do something about it. Work is about 200 km from home, which means I start looking desperately for a petrol station as well by that time. And in the past I have had to call the Dutch Automobile Association Assistance department too often because I ran out of petrol at an awkward moment, like at midnight 8 km from home about 2km from the end of the highway, before getting back to civilization . The usual reaction was, to put it nicely: "Always the same with these motorbikers!" .

Here are some of the stages the new tank went through:

After cutting and welding, of course. It was truly amazing how little space there was in the center of the tank for fuel - basically none . The front end was raised by 12 cm, BTW, so about 4 and 4/5 of an inch.

After filling, scouring, smoothing.

And the comparison between old (which I still have, just in case) and new . It is a little hard to see, but I went from Baron risers to custom risers, which are significantly higher, and made as a single solid block, which makes it all much more stable, especially with the high handlebars. The handlebars always seemed slightly of kilter, not anymore now.

Kind regards, Wim

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Hi Wim!
What a beautiful bike, tank really does look factory, very nicely done! You need to enter your bike in the bike of the month. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, entered fro September BotM .

Kind regards, Wim
Keith Post likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:34 PM

Nice job on that tank! So what's the capacity now?
Keith Post likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Nice job on that tank! So what's the capacity now?
About 30 liters (7.9 gallons), up from 16 liters (4.2 gallons) before .
Although that is 30 liters excluding reserve. The 16 liters was including reserve - no idea how much reserve really is.

Kind regards, Wim
Keith Post and Diogenes415 like this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Genius, I wish I had the means, knowledge and space.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode