Electrical Problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Sschnit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Problem

A few days ago my bike stalled out while riding and white smoke briefly crawled out from under the seat. I pulled over and let the bike sit for about 5 minutes while I visually inspected the bike. The bike started up fine and ran home normally, so i didnt suspect a head gasket leak. I took off the seat and found this wire, not sure what it goes to.

Can anyone help with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180914_160940_1536964278353.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	82138  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:13 PM

Garage
Looks like a battery tender connection that shorted out. I would look at battery terminals and see if wires attached there. For sure I would not turn key on until I totally unhook shorted wires. Keep us informed. Below is simular looking connector. Hope this helps. Also just noticed the blue crimped type connecter behind burnt wires. Investigate where it goes, if you keep it make it permanent with soldered joint and shrink tube. There is also an aftermarket fuse holder behind there too. Might be OK but might need to be checked out also.

define cradle song
wimg likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 09-14-2018 at 06:19 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 07:03 PM
KCW

Garage
I agree - either it did not have a fuse, or a proper fuse, or the end of it was bouncing around under the seat and got the ground wire across a hot terminal, or touched the battery, or got pinched by the seat....

Be happy, you dodged a bullet. If the wire got hot enough to start smoking it got hot enough to burn your motorcycle to the ground.

Les is correct, get in there with a wire cutter and remove the burned up wire, and make sure nothing can short your battery out.

BTW, if this happens to anyone in the future, do not get back on the bike till you find out what was making smoke, and fix it before you start the bike up.
lesblank and wimg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

I removed the wire. Rode it around the block, no wire heating, nothing smoking. Seemed like the short came from that wire and now its runs fine. There was another wire attached to the ground screw but it was cut and i didnt find where it came from. Ill take a picture tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180914_194357_1536983297971.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	82140  
KCW likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:34 AM
KCW

Garage
I posted in this thread about the Royal Star bike I just bought this week: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...-please-4.html

the original owner put an LED light kit on the bike that lit the thing up like a christmas tree. I knew I was not going to keep it on the bike, but when I saw the rats nest of wires under the drivers seat, I grabbed the wire cutters and ripped it all out of the bike immediately.

When the engineers at Yamaha designed the motorcycle they spent a lot of time mapping out where each and every wire would go, to make it easy to install, easy to replace, and to ensure it would never be damaged by anything the motorcycle might ever do, or in any way the parts might move, while riding, and while being assembled and serviced.

When people add wires to their bike to connect something, they hardly ever put any thought into it.

Im glad I cut all those LED lighting wires out of my bike, and your situation just verifies the worse of my fears. There is a photo of the pile of wires and lights at the bottom of that linked page.

Last edited by KCW; 09-15-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 PM

I added a wiring setup just like that for my heated gloves, I'd hang the female end out the left side of the seat towards the back, then sit on the bike and reach back and plug in my tail connector hanging down the back of my jacket. Battery tenders also do this same setup. I'm suspecting that the seat being compressed pushed the hot wire against something actually grounded, as if you look the actual battery connections are quite deep below all the other harness stuff, plus that batch of wiring should be in a small glove like cover with velcro on it.

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode