previous owner jack up? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Derek Heide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

previous owner jack up?

So I recently bought a 2007 Stratoliner. The previous owner isn't a mechanic but he thought he was, just the guy you want to buy a bike from right? Anyways, after fixing a few of his blunders I was moving the bike around the garage (not running) and the belt squeaked a little at me. This inspired a driveline inspection. I dont hear anything wrong running, then again I dont hear anything over the pipes. I wanted to check tension (good) and alignment (need to remove a bag first). In all of this I found the previous owner did a 65t hd pulley swap, and here's my question, The nuts look like they barely grab this pulley studs. I mean they are a solid 1/4in from making contact with the locking portion of the nut. Is this common with the 65t swap? Did this guy maybe source the wrong pulley? has anyone been mortising the HD pulleys?

TL;DR pulley nuts not fully threaded. Any clue why?

images show 2 different nuts, I didn't check all 5, but it looks like it is all of them. Pulley does appear to sit flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	82500   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	82502   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	82504  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Can someone with a HD 65tooth see how thick the plate of their pulley is? This pulley looks to be cnc aluminum 1/2inch thick, and the lug threads are recessed 3/16inch from the top of the nuts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:00 PM
KCW

Garage
I dont have a strat - maybe someone did CNC their own custom pulley?

I do know the standard for any bolt is to have at least 2 threads of the bolt showing on the other side of the nut, or thru a plate that is threaded in.

Having 2 or 3 threads inside the nut showing is not acceptable, unless the pulley is bolted to a threaded plate on the wheel, and the nuts are only serving as lock-nuts. In that case lock nuts can be really thin, only an 1/8" thick will do. Maybe thats why those are on there, and those are the only nuts he had available.

looking at the photos again, that looks like the pulley has the nuts on it? maybe the holes in the pulley are threaded, and the bolts are torqued into the pulley, then the nuts are put on after?

Hard to tell without taking one off. IF they could be lock nuts, take a nut off while holding the bolt with a wrench and see if the bolt just comes out, or if its also threaded into the pulley.

Last edited by KCW; 10-05-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

In case anyone was curious, pulley was .95in thick at the center. You couldn't tell it was so thick with the pulley mounted. Previous owner used about an entire bottle of loctite to hold this shi#show together. Replaced it with the 40315-94 HD pulley and now issue free
ctrider and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode