Replace Directionals - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Replace Directionals

I have a 2014 Roadliner S that I ordered new from the factory. When ordering I opted for having the driving or highway lights added to the build. They attach to the headlamp where the directional would attach normally, and the directional attaches to the bottom of the driving light housing. I have to replace the shaft and chrome housing for the directional, and can't find the parts anywhere. The directional is different given the addition of the driving lights. Has anyone ran into this before, and if so, how did you remedy the problem???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 PM

Garage
There are many different driving/turn signal light set ups. Is your like picture below? If not please post a picture so we know which set up you have and maybe help.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMiX37jcVxnyj6MG9

Hopefully you can see the pictures noted above. I think the set up is the same on my Roadliner S as the Stratoliner in your picture. I'm told that the addition of the driving lamps changes the directional to a different part number!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Two more pictures of my Roadliner S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181022-072746_1540208544953.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	82598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181022-060805_1540208603025.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	82600  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 AM
KCW

Garage
while you have these nice photos of driving lamps and turn signals posted, I dont want to disrupt your thread on turn signals, but

is there a way to adjust the aim on the driving/passing lights? My 2000 royal star has a set of passing lights and the left one seems aimed a bit higher than the right. I took the ring and lamp out and I dont see any kind of ball socket or any adjustment screws.

Maybe they are only intended to light up the road ahead with a wide angle but not-too-bright light, so they dont have to be aimed like the head light. Ive searched the forum on this and found nothing on the subject.

For your factory light setup, if you goto bikebandit.com select OEM parts and enter the info for your specific bike, they have good exploded drawings of all the factory parts on the bike, along with part numbers and prices if they sell them.

Last edited by KCW; 10-22-2018 at 07:52 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:04 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY FIS View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMiX37jcVxnyj6MG9

Hopefully you can see the pictures noted above. I think the set up is the same on my Roadliner S as the Stratoliner in your picture. I'm told that the addition of the driving lamps changes the directional to a different part number!!
Total nonsense, even if the part numbers change. I had the passing lights installed after acquiring the bike, and the old indicators just work with it, just that they are attached to the brackets rather than directly.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

I looked at the bikebandit.com site and the light that they show might work! The base is different, but I think that they would work ok. Thanks for the heads up on the website!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Yes the stalks are different. The only thing I can think of is to order another Passing Lamp Kit.
It will run you anywhere from $150 to $190 for the kit. The kit would have the stalks you need but it will cost you.
Of coarse the other option is to use a part other than the Yamaha one. Sorry about our luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:44 AM

Apologies for not exact reply, but Y'All probably know these lights: Is there a post on how to tighten the REAR SIGNAL STALK where attaches to the fender/rear lamp assembly on Strat-S and/or Roadliner? I have an '11 Strat-S and it's clearly an internal rod/bolt setup that one has to access internally under fender once remove rear brake lamp. Mine just started loosening on its own and SO frustrating the design is such that it's a dealer fix internally and dropping rear wheel, vs. just grabbing a 10mm wrench and tightening in 3 seconds an external bolt like on that Wisconsin brand of big cruisers. 🙂 Anybody else have to get dealer to do, and/or get this covered under orig. or extended YES warranty? Dealer quote was over $100 in labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY FIS View Post
I have a 2014 Roadliner S that I ordered new from the factory. When ordering I opted for having the driving or highway lights added to the build. They attach to the headlamp where the directional would attach normally, and the directional attaches to the bottom of the driving light housing. I have to replace the shaft and chrome housing for the directional, and can't find the parts anywhere. The directional is different given the addition of the driving lights. Has anyone ran into this before, and if so, how did you remedy the problem???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode