backroadbiker@optonline.net - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By backroadbiker
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By backroadbiker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Hi Guys; I just updated my account and am in need of some thoughts re; my Roadliners strange behavior. She runs great except when the need to stop comes up. I stop for a red-light, stop sign or any reason, and the engine stops too..! It just does not like to run at idle. It will do it fine in the drive-way or at very low speed around the neighborhood, but not after doing cruising speeds. To make safe stop and be prepared to go again I must rev the engine as I stop in order to keep it running. It soon gets tiresome. The service manual, points to the need for a new Air-Filter. I have it apart and waiting for one to arrive. Would appreciate any other ideas while it's disassembled. Thanks, backroadbiker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 AM

The same thing happens with my 2010 Strat Deluxe. I think that is one reason I had to replace my starter recently. I have not had the time to take it in for a full work up and asked them to raise the idle but they told me it was factory set.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM
KCW

Garage
What year is your Roadliner?

Carbs or fuel injected?

If you pulled the old air filter off and it looks grey instead of white, then it is hampering (choking) the engine, and it will run better with a new air filter.

Did the bike sit for a while not being used (months)? Its possible your gas degraded. If the gas in the tank is not clear (if its has turned brown) drain it out and put new gas in the bike. If the gas is brown do not keep riding it to use it up, it is gooping up your carbs/injectors/fuel pump/filter....

It will not hurt to get a can of Seafoam from Walmart ($7). It will clean your carbs/injectors, it could easily fix the problem, and it wont hurt anything. Put 1 ounce per gallon of new fuel in the tank (directions on the bottle).

Last edited by KCW; 01-03-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

It is factory set, but on the spool where the dual throttle cables work the throttle is an adjustment, with a lock nut, where you can turn in and up the idle speed. I tweaked mine one turn in which is very slight. The hell of it is, it's not accessible once the tank is back in place. I just took a chance, thinking I can live with a little bit faster idle rather than stalling, just in case the new Air-Filter doesn't do the job. The service manual, did steer me to replacing the Air-Filter, but there is also an ISC-unit that is conceal in the neck of the frame. From what I can see the vac. hoses and wiring to it look and feel okay. So I am going to take a chance on that. I will try to remember to post as to how my approach works.
*My Road Liner is a 2006 F/I. but it only has about 16,000 miles on it. It's actually kind of a back up bike for me. I also have a Valkyrie, with 94,000 miles. The 2 combined have way less miles than I have on myself. Haha. I'm 75, and been riding nearly all my life, and thanking God I still can. Arthritis sure makes working on them tough though. Yup, I'm aware of the gas thing. Thanks.
KCW likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:03 AM
KCW

Garage
If the screw you turned to increase the idle speed cannot be reached with the gas tank on the bike, that is not the idle adjustment screw. It sounds like something to adjust the slack in the throttle cables, and if you take all the slack out it holds the throttle on a bit.

The idle is always adjusted with the bike running and a tach on a spark plug wire to set the RPM. Yamaha would not put the idle adjustment screw in a place where you cannot do that.

I dont have a road liner or the manuals for one, but it should be an easy thing to look up.

EDIT: or wait 26 minutes and Lesblank will find it :^)

Last edited by KCW; 01-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
Your bike has an ISC that controls the idle. Check electrical connection and vacuum lines. It's a pretty common issue. Just google Roadliner ISC for other fixes. Good luck and keep us informed on fix.

KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input; I'm pretty sure you are right. I only took it one turn. The screw has a fine thread, and I did have some slack in the throttle. I'm now at the point of having a new K&N Air Filter in place and she's nearly back together. Just have to get the wood-stove going and some heat in the garage to finish. Next comes New-Gas with Star-Tron and hope weather stays good enough for a test ride. (Here in Upstate NY that's doubtful.) Of course more down time due to winter, doesn't help, and the gas wont stay new. Haha.. Thanks again.
KCW likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:54 AM
KCW

Garage
Where are you in NY? Im just SE of Rochester.

Its normal to get a January thaw here for a few days to a week. Just have to hope for a good downpour at the start of it to wash all the salt off the roads, and then some sun to warm up the pavement.

If the roads are white with salt, dont squeeze in that winter afternoon ride, unless you have a way to hose down your bike good and then dry it all off before it goes back in the garage.

In this part of the country a motorcycle can easily last 20 to 30 years, but that one salty winter ride will really make a mess of it quick.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Your area is a bit tougher than mine. I'm near to Poughkeepsie, in Wappingers Falls. I think your winters may be just a bit harsher. I try to avoid road-salt like the plague. My p/u-tk. has had so much eaten by it and I keep a hose in the garage to wash down the bikes after a salty ride.

*Wish my computer skills were better, I'm not sure i am replying properly, to these incoming messages. have to get my Wood-Stove fired up so I can try to get my Roadliner back together. These F/I bikes sure are crowded underneath.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode