Belt Blues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Belt Blues

I was about 2 miles from work when I got off the fwy next light tried to take off and nothing I am not moving. A guy pulls up next to me and says your belt is on the ground push in to a McDonalds lot Talked to the manager she says it's cool. Walk 2 miles to work and called Progressive ins. They picked my bike up and took it to PCP Motorsports where it sits until they can get a belt on Tuesday. Thats twice since Sept. I've been in a rental car. damn.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:52 AM

Garage
That's a bummer. How many miles on the belt? Had the rear tire been off recently? Did you recover the old belt to inspect it. Hopefully you're back on the road soon.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:46 AM
KCW

Garage
that poor little belt gave its all, held on with every last fiber of its strength until you got off the highway and were safely stopped at a red light... and then it collapsed on the ground, knowing you would be ok.

Its cool that progressive was able to setup a tow/trailer for your bike, even though it was not an accident. Let us know if they pay for it or you have to foot the bill. Progressive is an excellent company for motorcycle insurance, I have full coverage on both bikes with them. I always expected if the bike quits running or I get a flat I would be on my own to get the bike to a shop. I never would have thought to call them, but they do have a network of towtrucks at their disposal, so that was a good call.

Definitely let us know what happened to the belt, they are so reliable I would first suspect sabotage O_o
Yamaha Pat and Boots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Just over 40,000 miles the belt was still attached in the Mcdonalds parking lot. I'm going to the dealership this morning to give them the key I will see if I can get the belt and take some pictures. I have had Progressive my whole life and they always take care of me. With this bike alone they have picked up the bike maybe a half a dozen times. If I'm there or not mainly flat tires. It's supposed to rain all week but I would still rather be on the bike instead of in a car. It's been a couple of thousand miles since the rear tire was replaced.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Real glad to hear it didn't break and get tangled up causing control problems. Hmmm, maybe I'm glad I have a drive shaft...

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Well I got a Prius as a rental and went down to the dealership and gave them the key and picked up the belt. It was definitely compromised I think I picked up something on the offramp and it was about 100 ft to the stop light. I have had a shaft on my last few bikes and really liked the non maintenance. I like riding to the middle of nowhere and sometimes end up on gravel roads and the belt was always on the back of my mind. My front breaks were close so I'm having that done and getting rid of the condensation in the dash. I won't be getting any miles this week but at least I will be able to see how many miles I am not riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2335.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	83348   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2336.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	83350   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2339.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	83352   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2340.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	83354  

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM
KCW

Garage
Ive heard a belt can crush a rock between the pulley

I guess it depends on what kind of rock...
Yamaha Pat and CanadianMohawk like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Or chunk of metal.
KCW likes this.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 PM
KCW

Garage
between riding bicycles and in the last several years riding motorcycles, I have gotten into the habit while taking a walk, if I see something in the street that I would not want to run over on either, I pick it up.

I take a walk everyday at work, just over a mile at lunch time.

I have a filing cabinet in my office, the entire top is covered with the stuff I have picked up and didnt just throw in the dumpster:

trailer hitch, 4" well drill bit, pretty much an entire set of sockets, wrenches, box wrenches, screw drivers, wire cutters, a 2 foot long carpenters level, CV joint ball bearings (I dont know how the cars kept going) a push rod from an air cooled VW, half a dozen golf balls, about a quart of nuts and bolts and screws... and so far about $30 in cash (coins and bills)

and I have several mystery things made of metal, that none of us at work can figure out what they are.

There is a car dealer on the corner, and several truck service centers nearby, because we are right on the exit for the interstate thruway. Mechanics work on vehicles and set tools down in the engine compartment, and hardware, and forget they are there. When the vehicle drives away, the first turn or stop they come to, it all comes falling out.

I forgot to mention all the master locks, half with the key in the lock (UPS is nearby too), and the really nice EverReady LED flashlight/shoplight. Everyone at work keeps borrowing it.

there is a truck service company that shares our driveway. I found this odd articulated, specially bent ratchet wrench in our driveway one morning riding in, I figured it had to be theirs, so I rode back to their shop. "Is this yours?"

a mechanic said "OH GOD! do you know how much that costs??!"
Yamaha Pat and Boots like this.

Last edited by KCW; 02-09-2019 at 09:22 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I have a filing cabinet in my office, the entire top is covered with the stuff I have picked up and didnt just throw in the dumpster:

a push rod from an air cooled VW ...
"
That's a pretty specific id. How in the world did you know it was from an air cooled VW??!! Most impressive.

2001 V-Star 650 Classic - purchased in 2017 w/ 10.5K miles
2014 Stratoliner S - purchased in 2018 w/ 0 miles (Original Owner!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode