Battery installation woes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Battery installation woes

By my own admission I am definitely no wrencher of note. However over the years,I have owned 13 different bikes
and have easily managed to change batteries on all of them, without any issues at all. After all it's pretty easy job
let's face it. Not so with my newly acquired 06 Strat. Tried installing battery on Thursday-man oh man I have never used so much profanity in my life, over such a relatively short period. It took me two hours to (almost) get it right.
During this time I contrived to lose both bolts that fit into the battery posts and ended up just using screws to "secure" the terminals.
The problem was the woefully inadequate length of both the positive and negative leads. The positive lead barely reaches it's intended target and the negative not much better.
I am obviously going to have to remedy my quick fix soon-not looking forward to repeating the process. Is there
any way to extend both leads ? I can't afford to lose another 10 years off my life with all the stress incurred during the first attempt !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:23 AM
KCW

Garage
sometimes the obvious simple answer is the easy fix: is it possible you put the battery in the wrong way, or you got a new battery with the terminals not in the correct location? Or maybe a battery that is slightly too tall? As with car batteries, you can get motorcycle batteries with the terminals on the front with the + on the right or the left, and with the terminals on the top or on the side. On some bikes you spin the battery 180 so the terminals are towards the back.

If you are not sure what is the proper battery for your motorcycle goto www. batterysharks.com, and look it up by make and model and year - they will show you a photo of the battery that fits your bike.

the terminal screws with the captive square nuts can be a challenge it get started, because the nuts are not captive until you catch a few threads with the screws. Other than that, it should go together fairly easy.

Its also possible a previous owner replaced the battery wires with the wrong lengths / part numbers to repair wires that were damaged by a leaking battery.

Last edited by KCW; 03-03-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode