Just bought a new 2008 Midnight Strat - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Just bought a new 2008 Midnight Strat

Hello all,

I'm no stranger to motorcycle forums and the wonderful time-wasting joy they can bring to a grown man, and now I have joined this one. I've had about 13 bikes over the past 23 years (since I was 16), and was able to get a killer deal on a new (still in the crate!) 08 Midnight Strat. I still have a 2004 V-Rod (which I am selling), a 2003 Yam FZ-1 and a 2003 Suzuki SV1000S - great forums for all of those bikes.

Looking to do a lot of moderate mods and I will be asking way too many questions of everyone, just as a noob should. Such as:

--What is the best combo of exhaust, air filter/intake mod and EFI tuner?
--How can I replace those Madonna-like rear turn signal lenses?
--Where can I get some good, black bar risers?
--What other performance mods are no-brainers?
--What's the best way to lower this bike an inch or two?
--Any good, proven powdercoaters in the Chicago/Milwaukee area? (for wheels, etc.)

etc. etc.

Will post a pic when I get it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:29 AM

Cool Great!!!!

I can't Think of a better Xmas Present Glad to have you here. I am a New Owner My self of a 2009 Roadliner S for about 2 months I have had all kinds of bikes in my 30 years for the last HD Sold them and I in Love with this Bike. Look me up @ my Post on what I have Done. I can Tell you For your Money the Best Way for 13+ HP is the Patrick Racing BAF Kit. I don't have the Dynojet Power Commander III USB (Yam Roadstar '08-09, But Just the BAK made the Bike Run a 100% better and lossed a lot of the Poping or Back fire What ever is gone.O yea Don't for bet to check out my video

Live Life To It's Fullest!!! As You Only Live Once! So In Joy It.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Welcom

Pwrmad,

Welcome aboard, I have had my Stratoliner since Spring of 06. Love it, have not changed much. I have a little over 40,000 miles on it. Would need to go look under the cover to see exact amount. The bike has plenty of power but you may just feel the need to play. There is some satisfaction in tweaking a little more power out of a bike. Even if some kid on a crouch rocket will still be able to blow us away.

I am defiantly not expert. Maybe some food for thought. As Fasteddy said the Big air filter kit is easiest 13 HP. Seems to do more than fuel processors or exhaust. I have heard some say to get the 13 to 15 HP you need to do all three. I believe once you modify the air box you will hear a big increase in intake noise.

The fuel controler will also raise RPM limiter, but most of the torque is in mid range.

D&D has a dyno chart on their web site claiming 7 HP by just adding their slip on muffler. I do not think you will see 20 HP if you do both. It may well be the company's that sell this stuff stretch things a bit. Guess you know your mileage will likely go down a bit.

If you change the entire exhaust and eliminate the Ex Up valve you will loose some low end torque.

There is a link you can add to the shock to lower the rear an inch or two.

You might just ride it for a while, take in some shows and see what you like. I guess in Chicago you won't be doing much riding for a while. Maybe you want to work on it over the winter.

Good luck
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Pwrmad,

Welcome aboard, I have had my Stratoliner since Spring of 06. Love it, have not changed much. I have a little over 40,000 miles on it. Would need to go look under the cover to see exact amount. The bike has plenty of power but you may just feel the need to play. There is some satisfaction in tweaking a little more power out of a bike. Even if some kid on a crouch rocket will still be able to blow us away.

I am defiantly not expert. Maybe some food for thought. As Fasteddy said the Big air filter kit is easiest 13 HP. Seems to do more than fuel processors or exhaust. I have heard some say to get the 13 to 15 HP you need to do all three. I believe once you modify the air box you will hear a big increase in intake noise.

The fuel controler will also raise RPM limiter, but most of the torque is in mid range.

D&D has a dyno chart on their web site claiming 7 HP by just adding their slip on muffler. I do not think you will see 20 HP if you do both. It may well be the company's that sell this stuff stretch things a bit. Guess you know your mileage will likely go down a bit.

If you change the entire exhaust and eliminate the Ex Up valve you will loose some low end torque.

There is a link you can add to the shock to lower the rear an inch or two.

You might just ride it for a while, take in some shows and see what you like. I guess in Chicago you won't be doing much riding for a while. Maybe you want to work on it over the winter.

Good luck
Dave

Thanks for the info. I am a big believer in the stage 1 setup for stock bikes - it just improves everything. I plan to dyno my bike as is, fully stock first. Then do a good stage 1, then dyno tune it. Should be interesting!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 04:06 PM

HI PWRMAD, GLAD YOU GOT A STRAT. They didn't have any midnight bikes where i shop. i like the bike in black looks sinister. post a pic if you can.
Good luck with the bike i know you will love it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM

Pwrmad, welcome to the Liner club. These are amazing motorcycles, as you already know. I have a 2006 Roadliner cum Strat that I love as well. I have Cobra Speedster X-Tra Longs and no fuel management system. Popping is minimal/occasional since I switched to regular octane gas. I just like 2 into 2 pipes. If I have lost power from the EXUP valve on the stock pipes, this 113-incher runs so strong I never noticed. I will do some air mods in the Spring, just a K&N and remove or drill holes in the air box cover. Already added a lot of chrome, like bag guards, crash bars, rider' s backrest and driving lamps, and am waiting for the new rider's floorboards and shifter/brake covers I ordered as Christmas presents.
Riding season is over here. Enjoy your new ride.

-Caper

3rd Officer
Road Captain
All Canadian Riders Club
Chapter 001 Durham ON Canada
http://www.allcanadianridersclub.ca
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 PM

Great bike!!

I added a power commander and Speedstar pipes to mine and it runs great. If you change the air filter setup from stock be aware that its is LOUD but that is where the most power gain is.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM

Long exhaust

Caper,

I see Yamaha claims more power in midrange and top end for the long pipes. I have been told you will loose low end torque if you eliminate the Ex Up valve, but looks like you make it up elsewhere.

Don't fully understand this back pressure thing but I think the Ex Up valve regulates back pressure at low RPM for low end torque. Is fully open around 2,400 RPM.

Guess it depends what you want and how you ride.

Dave
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Great bike!!

I added a power commander and Speedstar pipes to mine and it runs great. If you change the air filter setup from stock be aware that its is LOUD but that is where the most power gain is.
Stratman, What kind of change did you make to the air filter setup? I too have the Commander III/speedster shorts on my Roadliner.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Pwrmad, welcome to the Liner club. These are amazing motorcycles, as you already know. I have a 2006 Roadliner cum Strat that I love as well. Popping is minimal/occasional since I switched to regular octane gas.
-Caper

3rd Officer
Road Captain
All Canadian Riders Club
Chapter 001 Durham ON Canada
http://www.allcanadianridersclub.ca
you should run premium fuel
see below;
there is no more or less power made by the fuel. this has been known for a long time to drag racers. 9.5:1 compression is what decides the octane, it is the detonation that is controlled. there is no more thermal expansion between regular vs premium. the difference in power is due to the detonation (ping/Knock) from the regular octane. if you have detonation you are not using the full potential made by the combustion process. higher octane stops this so you see more power due to proper burn. higher compression gives higher power output but requires the higher octane to control ping. thats why a 350 small block chevy can make 500+ HP with 13:1 compression but must run 108 octane to stay alive. knock/ping with hammer your engine to death, burn holes in pistons and so on. if you have to use regular, drive easy to reduce the chances of detonation. your chances of detonation go up with higher loads applied (more throttle) when passing, racing or driving up inclines. i had to use regular on our way to Sturgis this year and it was fine, just drove easy. dont recommend it for daily driving though, just emergencies. it's better than pushing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode