Stratoliner-Indian_Stratoliner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Stratoliner-Indian_Stratoliner

Greetings y'all

I haven't been on for a while. Last June I made a huge mistake!! I sold my 2007 Stratoliner and bought a gorgeous 2014 Indian Chief Vintage!! That bike looked incredible and sounded even better!

I quickly realized however that performance wise it was not half the bike my Stratoliner was!! Anyway, I managed to finally sell it yesterday, lost a few thousand, live and learn, and found a 2013 Stratoliner S with 5K miles for $7500!! Rode it home last night, great to have a Stratoliner again!! I figured I would give you all the backround for your amusement!!

So, this bike is all stock, so I will want to do the pipes, airbox, send the ECU to Ivan etc. But I wanted to see what y'all thought were the best pipes for sound and performance. I am considering the Freedom Performance Racing Complete Dual Exhaust System. Has anyone on here tried them and if so did you like them?

If not them possibly the Cobra Speedster X-tra Longs Chrome. The Cobras are around $600, the Freedom Performance are around $900. I like the look of the pipes on either side of the bike
but I am curious about performance

Anyhow, just looking for opinions. I will be doing comfort items first like engine guard with hiway pegs, Mustang seat, larger Kuryakin grips etc. Probably won't start performance tweaking until end of summer or next spring as I am getting a knee replaced soon so riding season will likely be short this year for me unfortunately

Keep smiling and ridin

PEACE
DOC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59493179_10161593824575263_8049238758219841536_o.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	84066  
YammyV and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:49 AM

Welcome back Doc!

I have a 2010 Strat Deluxe and have the Freedom True Duals on it. I really like the sound. Are they the loudest ones on the road? Nope....at cruising speed a pleasant throaty note..not terribly loud. When you get into it a full throttle...the noise mirrors the power for sure. Before I decided on these....did a YouTube search..there were some videos up there of people riding with the pipes to show the sound. And...of course...hard bags deserve duals, just looks right to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:59 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doccuke View Post
.... I will be doing comfort items first like engine guard with hiway pegs,..
this made me smile

about a month after I got my Royal Star, which came with a nice crash bar, I was not paying attention doing a slow U turn in an awkward spot, and the bike rolled over on its left side.

I just realized, my left leg was pretty comfortable under the 700 lb bike, not crushed or anything.

I have been thinking my VS650 commuter bike needs a crash bar too... (for that same level of comfort :^)

Good deal on the Stratoliner. Personally I think the engineers at Yamaha did a pretty good job designing these bikes, and I like both of mine the way they came from the factory - but thats just me.

Last edited by KCW; 05-05-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply jimboski10

I don't need them to be the loudest, I just like more than the stock pipes have, plus I wanted better flowing pipes to go with the BAK I will install

I still have my 2002 Roadstar with Hard Krome 3.5" and they are quite loud. I bought them when the bike was a couple of weeks old. After I installed them and heard the bike I could not believe how loud they were!! NOBODY like riding behind me on my Roadie!! LOL I put a pic of the Purple People Eater below

If I knew they were that loud I probably would not have bought them, but at that point they were on and looked great so that was that!! 18 years an 90K miles later they are still on and still sound and look great!!

But thanks for the input on the Freedom true duals

Hi KCW
I like the way they designed them too, but I enjoy tuning the Stratoliner to get everything I can get out of them. They are quite the bike bone stock, but a BAK, good pipes and a reflash from Ivan makes a Stratoliner unbelieveable!!

I definitely like the engine guard/crash bars, they can save damage to the rider and the bike!! Well worth having!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ppedeb.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	84068  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
Glad you're back, DOC! Nice looking Strat and interesting what you plan to do to get the most enjoyment riding it! Sorry your season will be short but after knee replacement you be much happier!

Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Yea the knees are both shot, no cartilage left in either knee, bone on bone!! Can you say OWWW?? I do every morning!!
WAHHH, that's life I reckon. I am 61 yo 6'4" and 310 pounds down from 385 and still working on it!!

I am working on my Strat wish list today, it ain't short!! Pipes, BAK, engine guard, hiway pegs, Mustang seat, luggage rack, handlebar risers and grips

Also replace the junk Bridgestones , with Michelin Commander II, install an OEM lightbar and add chrome saddlebag guards

Won't get them all at once, not like installing everything is quick. Like I said probably comfort stuff this season and performance stuff next season

Will definitely be sending my ECU to Ivan after the pipes and airbox are done. He does a spectacular job!!

I actually enjoy wrenching on my bike when it is upgrades like this. And I take my time!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:39 PM
KCW

Garage
you will be surprised how quickly you will be back on your feet

everyone I know with replacement knees all say the same thing: I should have done this much sooner!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I have heard the same thing. Looking forward to having it done and getting through the PT
Not thrilled that I will have to take at least a month off from work, no disability, so whatever time I spend out will be unpaid!!

Gotta do what ya gotta do!!
KCW likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
Congrats on your new ride. Now it's time to put some miles on it. 😀

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes sir!!!!
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode