Aftermarket Pipes And A Power Commander? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Pipes And A Power Commander?

I have the Cobra Speedster Shorts and a DynoJet Power Commander III already installed on my bike. Now I'm pretty much lost, but learning how this all comes together.

First, I understand that the EXUP valve has been removed for the new pipes. Then the O2 sensor unplugged for the power commander III. After that, I don't know how the power commander is programmed, tuned, or what ever? It has three push button pads on it, and plug ins for usb and ? I can only assume that it has already been tuned by a dyno machine? So, then how often does this need to be done? Or can anyone tell me how this unit operates so I know if I'm have a tuning problem? Rich/lean, reprogram? I just don't know how it works? Help please. I can't get any info. online about it, except that it increases HP, improves performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM

Download

Dinger,
you should be able to download maps here. Don't have any first hand experiance. I see support on this site.

Dave

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dl=134&yr=2007
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Dave,
Thanks. That's The Site I'm Talking About. They List The Cobra Speedster Longs, But Not The Shorts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Support

I see a contact number Tech support. 1-800-992-4993. Give a call.
Dave
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks For The Tech Number Dave, I'll Give Them A Call In The Morning. I Appreciate It.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM

you might want to use cuation. if somebody did get it dyno tuned it will have a far superior map that the stuff you can download as it will be tailord to the bike. the download maps are great but dyno is best. good luck.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:43 PM

DITTO......

None of the maps are exact for every application. Dyno Jet does not have a map for the Cobra Speedster short. There is one there for the longs and extra longs... I'd guess the longs would be close.

Save the map that is in the power commander right now to some name (speedsterShort would be good) so you can put it back if you don't like how the map for the speedster long acts.

I talked with Dyno Jet's tech about mine and they advised me to try the cobra maps for the DG Hardkrome Big Straights. I ended up actually having it dyno tuned by a authorized Dyno Jet tuner. Gained over 10 hp and a bunch of torque.

That power commander will do very good things but you have to teach it what and when to do exactly what you want...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
you might want to use cuation. if somebody did get it dyno tuned it will have a far superior map that the stuff you can download as it will be tailord to the bike. the download maps are great but dyno is best. good luck.
Thanks, and I can understand that. I'm just trying to understand how the power commander works, and what it does for my bike? What the three buttons on it are for, and how it tunes the bike to the exhaust, fuel/air mixture, etc... And I don't know how the whole map thing works anyways. I would probably just have it dyno tuned if it needed it, by the professionals.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Rush View Post
DITTO......

None of the maps are exact for every application. Dyno Jet does not have a map for the Cobra Speedster short. There is one there for the longs and extra longs... I'd guess the longs would be close.

Save the map that is in the power commander right now to some name (speedsterShort would be good) so you can put it back if you don't like how the map for the speedster long acts.

I talked with Dyno Jet's tech about mine and they advised me to try the cobra maps for the DG Hardkrome Big Straights. I ended up actually having it dyno tuned by a authorized Dyno Jet tuner. Gained over 10 hp and a bunch of torque.

That power commander will do very good things but you have to teach it what and when to do exactly what you want...

Ok, so the program the power commander is running now, was probably done by a dyno machine? So it has to be programmed via usb cables by someone who actually knows what they're doing in order for it to be tuned in properly? Okay, I think I'm getting it now. So when it replaces the oem o2 plug in, it was programmed to do it's job right? I'm not up on all this high tech stuff. Still learning. Thanks for everyone's responses.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM

power commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINGER View Post
Ok, so the program the power commander is running now, was probably done by a dyno machine? So it has to be programmed via usb cables by someone who actually knows what they're doing in order for it to be tuned in properly? Okay, I think I'm getting it now. So when it replaces the oem o2 plug in, it was programmed to do it's job right? I'm not up on all this high tech stuff. Still learning. Thanks for everyone's responses.
yes. the guys running the dyno have a PC and an O2 sensor and can monitor the air fuel mixture as the bike is running under different loads, trottle position, rpm everything. they can tell by the dyno when you make more power at what air/fuel ratio. here is a link that has a decent explaination.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZaCKyoMQVM

this one shows the map on a PC and how is it done. this is a great vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7d6FQ8hiDM

hope this helps and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode