Hard Clutch Lever, Is There An Adjustment? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Hard Clutch Lever, Is There An Adjustment?

I haven't even ridden my new bike yet. As a matter of fact, it only has 975 miles on it. But quite noticeable to me is the effort needed to pull the clutch lever back. I've ridden alot, and I cannot remember such a stiff clutch lever?

Is there any kind of adjustment for this problem? I'm not real mechanical, mostly a "parts changer" at best. So if anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 PM

clutch

Dinger,
I of course have no idea what you actually feel. But, My guess you just need to get used to it. As you ride your hand will toughen up. I have noticed my hand and forearm getting tired early in the season. Later in the season I don't seem to notice it. It is a much bigger clutch tan my 1100 was. It is a hydraulic clutch so I don't think you will find an adjustment. You might lubricate your clutch lever to be sure but I wouldn't expect any big change. Is an oil bath clutch so everything else should be lubricated.

It is my left hand and so my weak side, but I don't seem to notice as the season goes on.

Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Dinger,
I of course have no idea what you actually feel. But, My guess you just need to get used to it. As you ride your hand will toughen up. I have noticed my hand and forearm getting tired early in the season. Later in the season I don't seem to notice it. It is a much bigger clutch tan my 1100 was. It is a hydraulic clutch so I don't think you will find an adjustment. You might lubricate your clutch lever to be sure but I wouldn't expect any big change. Is an oil bath clutch so everything else should be lubricated.

It is my left hand and so my weak side, but I don't seem to notice as the season goes on.

Dave
I kinda figured that there wouldn't be any adjustment with it being hydraulic. You would be right about the forearm thing. I'm left handed, though my left elbow may have a torn tendon. I'll find out on the 13th. I've already had two torn tendons repaired on my right elbow. The sins of my youth are becoming punishable the older I get. Worked and played too hard.

I'll get it worked out! Just have to tough it out I guess. Cuz I'm riding my bike this summer! Thanks for responding Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Exersize

Dinger,
Knew a guy that squeezed a tennis ball all the time. His big thing in life was to get into contest of hand grip. He once broke a fellow employee's hand. Maybe we could work up to summer that way. Fine on those tendons. If it hurts don't do it.

Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Dinger,
Knew a guy that squeezed a tennis ball all the time. His big thing in life was to get into contest of hand grip. He once broke a fellow employee's hand. Maybe we could work up to summer that way. Fine on those tendons. If it hurts don't do it.

Dave
Sounds like a fun guy Dave. Bet he's a hit at a party! Ouch!

Anyone who's ever had tennis elbow can relate with me. It snaps pain to my elbow just extending my arm with my fingers spread out. Just as if you were reaching to grab something. Only difference is, mine won't go away. Pretty sure; as I've already went through this with the right elbow, that I must have torn the left as well. The cold weather just makes it ache more. I know, "whinner", but if it wasn't my strong arm, I'd be cool with it. I've learned to deal with my right arm being the weak arm all my life. But now, I'm dealing with two weak arms, and a constant aching pain. Sucks!

Hopefully, and I mean "HOPEFULLY", Doc can give me a cortisone shot, and I won't need surgery. Find out Wed. Keep warm my friend.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINGER View Post
Anyone who's ever had tennis elbow can relate with me. It snaps pain to my elbow just extending my arm with my fingers spread out. Just as if you were reaching to grab something. Only difference is, mine won't go away. I'm dealing with two weak arms, and a constant aching pain. Sucks!
I'm not sure how hard a pull you have. after i got my bike i compared it to my brothers HD. I thought mine was somewhat firm for pull but after i tried his i thought i was very lucky to have such an easy pull. the HD was hard to pull in. his is cable not hyd. i know if i do alot of stop and go in town my hand will start to get tired. i just remind myself what he and all the other HD guys are going thru and i feel much better. hope your elbow gets better, spring will be here all to soon.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:17 PM

Clutch Lever

I've noticed that my clutch pull is slightly harder than my last bike, a BMW, but is not tiring. Though, I've not been stuck in any slow speed traffic (is that an oximoron?) for any significant amount of time.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM

Agreed

I have some tendon issues as well and found the clutch excellent with respect to feel and engagement, but just stiff. Harley softened their clutch pull in 2006 I think, and they are much smoother now than the Liners, IMHO. The Gold Wing's is like cream as well. I bought Kuryakyn chrome levers off the web that are about 1/2" closer, which helped a bit. I saw on another forum a method of shortening the pin on the inside part of the lever which will allegedly achieve the same result of bringing the lever closer to the grip.
It is bearable, yes, and I agree you get used to it, though I did get stuck in traffic last year when my wrist was having a bad day and it was a painful trip. The clutch otherwise engages so sweetly, though, it is easy to forgive its resistance. Just my $0.02.

-Caper
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
I'm not sure how hard a pull you have. after i got my bike i compared it to my brothers HD. I thought mine was somewhat firm for pull but after i tried his i thought i was very lucky to have such an easy pull. the HD was hard to pull in. his is cable not hyd. i know if i do alot of stop and go in town my hand will start to get tired. i just remind myself what he and all the other HD guys are going thru and i feel much better. hope your elbow gets better, spring will be here all to soon.

Got a cortizone shot in the elbow Monday. Doc scripted a wrist brace to keep me from flexing the extensior muscle that runs up into the elbow. Pain is way down. Brace is uncomfortable only in fact to it being on my strong hand. Dealing with it though. Much better than the pain I was putting up with! I'll take it easy for awhile and let it heal up. Then I'll start stretching it out slowly to build the muscle back up. Thanks to all for your kind comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode