Cruise Control Source - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Cruise Control Source

Has anyone done or heard of someone doing a no kidding cruise control on a Stratoliner? My arthritis is just making the longer rides harder and harder these days. If I had a cruise control it would make life MUCH more comfortable.

Yes, I know I can put a throttle lock style cruse control on. In fact I have already done so but am not overly happy with it. I find myself constantly fiddling with it to maintain speed.

I've looked at a couple different universal auto units that shoe promise but if there is something better for the Stratoliner then I'm sure open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Cruise Control Source

Gold Rush,
Thanks for asking that question. I've been wondering the same thing myself. I see that Cruiser Customizing has two listed on an email they sent me. One is for $30 and the other $178. I don't know why there could be such a price difference. I too would like to see a real cruise control for the Roadliner/Stratoliner. I'll keep checking back to see if we get any good advice.

Protect your right to ride. Support the AMA.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 PM

the 30 dollar one is vista, the 178 is brakeaway which is aluminum.
roadstar clinic I have a modified version of mounting vista, copied from another post on the site.. cleans up the vista plastic clamp, mite have ten bucks in aluminum and some time to make it.. keeps vista on a cheaper budget..
the cramp buster ($11)is nice for putting on grip to help with hands.. but I haven't found a nice elecronic cruise control yet that is affordable.
If you find one let us now.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Both of those are throttle lock style units. They do just that.

I want one that will automatically adjust throttle position when going up and down hills just like an automobile does.

Surely someone had accomplished this on a Stratoliner....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Cruise control

I saw a post where someone was installing this one. It is an automotive cruise control and they do not list a two cylinder engine as being compitable. It also aparently requires a relay for the brake light signal. I do not know if it ever worked.

http://www.rostra.com/cc-250-1223.asp

Dave
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Was searching around on the net and found this article..

http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/han...ol_Stratol.pdf

Looks like it might have some value. I see the author used a signal splitter to over-come the lack of 2 cyl application. I'm gonna do more investigating but this is looking very hopeful

Well, I ordered the hardware so now we'll see if it really does work! I'll post updates as I have more/better informaiton...

Last edited by Gold Rush; 01-29-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: update info
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 PM

Gold Rush,
that looks cool it seems like about 200 bucks and some time and you have a cruise control, can't wait to see some pics of it on your ride.. sounds like a neat project.
Paul
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Rush View Post
Has anyone done or heard of someone doing a no kidding cruise control on a Stratoliner? My arthritis is just making the longer rides harder and harder these days. If I had a cruise control it would make life MUCH more comfortable.

Yes, I know I can put a throttle lock style cruse control on. In fact I have already done so but am not overly happy with it. I find myself constantly fiddling with it to maintain speed.

I've looked at a couple different universal auto units that shoe promise but if there is something better for the Stratoliner then I'm sure open to suggestions.
Here is one I found.

Audiovox CCS100 Cruise Control System
http://www.linerwiki.com/liner/Audio...stallation.pdf

Reported to work just fine.
It's in my future :-)

Regards,

Mid-wester
2006 Srat S
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Well it's done and it actually works!!!! I read somewhere in my searching that I might experience a couple acceleration surges when the unit was first engaged which I do. They aren't significant and sure is nothing to worry about. I'm really looking forward to warmer weather now!!!

With a few exceptions I pretty much followed the information found here.

http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/han...ol_Stratol.pdf

Paul includes more information then needed if you are gonna use the 250-1223 cruise which I believe is the way to go. No need to get all that vacuum involved... It's not difficult to sort out the unnecessary stuff so it's not really a waste. He also uses the less expensive control head so if you chose the one I did there are some extra wires to deal with.

It will take way more explaining and some photos to tell everything so if you are interested I'll send you an e-mail with attached photos. Just shoot me a request to [email protected].

The long and the short of it is this. If you are comfortable taking the bike apart and chasing wires then this is a very doable addition. If wires scare you then it's probably not something you should be doing...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Gold it sounds real cool, I can't wait to get mine and start going through the personalizing.. this will make it hard to decide on being cheap or doing it like this and getting a nice cruise control. enjoy, ride safe and thank you for all the info.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode