Windsheild Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Windsheild Question

I have a 06 Strat. I'm 6'2 and I need the windsheild to be taller or the seat to be lower. I have seen tall windhieds for $350.00 plus.
is there any cheeper way to go. Is there a windshield extention out there? Thanks, It sucks to be broke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Windshield

Flame Proof,

I have read a windshield should top at about the hieght of tip of your nose or between your nose and eyes. Air will continue on up and pass just over your head. You would be looking over the top of the windshileld.

Sometimes the problem is air passing under the windshield and turning up. Creating turtulence behing the windshield. Buckslowers.com was my solution for this.

Dave
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME PROOF View Post
I have a 06 Strat. I'm 6'2 and I need the windsheild to be taller or the seat to be lower. I have seen tall windhieds for $350.00 plus.
is there any cheeper way to go. Is there a windshield extention out there? Thanks, It sucks to be broke.

I'm 6'1" and had an extended height windshield on my Goldwing. It was so high that I could raise the face shield on my helmet and never feel the slipstream on my face. That had some advantages.

However I ride at night in rain, mist, fog, and in spring and fall ride through pockets of cold and warm air. This causes the lexan to fog internally until it adjusts to the temperature, and with the high windshield that meant flying IFR: zero visibility unless I stood up on the pegs to see over the top. And then the visor would fog...

Eventually I became a believer in having a windshield that allowed me to see over it while I was in a normal riding position. The disadvantages of not being able to see in reduced visibility conditions far outweighed the comfort and security of being tucked in behind the windshield.

As a footnote, what has amazed me is that the short wind-deflector I have on my Strat's fairing effectively directs the slipstream over me. and I have never felt fatigued from wind buffet even though my upper body is above the windshield.

Good luck in your search for the ideal windscreen.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 AM

There are many places where the windshields go for a lot less than $350. Set up a saved search on eBAy for Stratoliner Windshield and you will get an email anytime one is listed. Also check Craigs list and check the diferent forums for items for sale. Also post an ad on the forums offering to trade your Medium for someones tall, there are people looking for what you have. You should find one for under $150 if not cheaper. Good luck.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 02:19 PM

Is it a stock windshield?

Quote:
I'm 5'11.5" and i dont feel any wind from the front. my windshield is at least as high as my head. it is a stock unit. i have to strain to look over the top. how short is your windshield?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Springer, are you ok?

Not a single joke in there, and very useful and insightful information in that reply .

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDar View Post
Springer, are you ok?

Not a single joke in there, and very useful and insightful information in that reply .

Now see, you have me all mixed up with Stratowart "adrift in New England" and Farmall "I live in the pink corner of America" Dan.

Unlike those keyboard ruffians, I do my best to articulate helpful, profound, and simple insights without deviating from the narrow path of each thread.

I am appalled, sir, appalled I say, that you would think so lowly of me.

(OK, are we off the record now...?)

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Too funny guys, I don't know how I stayed in the chair too read all that.
Just to get to the point, I like to see over the shield.. Wind goes over your head.
Is that what this was about?
Ride Safe.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone ... If i lower my head about 2 0r 3 inches the battering of my head decreaces and i can still see over the windshield.. I'm long From the waist up so I sit high in the seat anyway... thanks and if anyone has a tall windshield for sale let me know.. mine has some stickers on it I'm not sure how it would clean up but i could try if you have a trade.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks everyone ... If i lower my head about 2 0r 3 inches the battering of my head decreaces and i can still see over the windshield.. I'm long From the waist up so I sit high in the seat anyway... thanks and if anyone has a tall windshield for sale let me know.. mine has some stickers on it I'm not sure how it would clean up but i could try if you have a trade.

It sounds like you're pretty close to the right height on the windshield. Have you considered a minor seat mod to drop you down an inch or so?

Do you have anything on your seat that might be jacking you up (sheepskin, Airhawk, beads, etc)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode