Tire Repair - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Tire Repair

Just a quick question. I was told by 2 different shops that they would not repair a rear tire that had a small nail. To concerned over liability issues. Is this problem nationwide? The tire had only 3k on it. Now I am having to fork our over 200 to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Tire repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strat S View Post
Just a quick question. I was told by 2 different shops that they would not repair a rear tire that had a small nail. To concerned over liability issues. Is this problem nationwide? The tire had only 3k on it. Now I am having to fork our over 200 to replace.
I think they may be wrong but i can't say for sure. i would say this though. there is nothing stopping YOU from plugging this tire for yourself. you can get a plug/patch kit at Walmart for 5-10 bucks and it has all the poking/plugging tools. i know on a car tire, nobody will touch a tire with a sidewall defect but there is no problem if the defect is on the face of the tire. i know quite a few guys that have plugged their own bike tires especially if you are 50 miles from the nearest town. if you had this kit i would think you would be stuffing a plug in real quick before all the air leaked out. We carry a kit when we go on long trips. these WILL NOT WORK ON A TUBE TIRE. onlt tubless tires can be plugged.

also 200.00 for a rear tire sounds awful high to me. you can get the Bridgestone's from Dennis kirk for 138.99 right now. the front is 93.00 right now. you might want to check out Bikebandit as well. there are many good site's for tires. my dealer charges 37.00 to mount and balance. they run a spring special and charge half price to mount and balance so if i do both front and rear i get away with 37.00 total mounting charges. i would think you could fix this for 10.00 bucks if the nail is on the face of the tire and not the side wall.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. the 200 is installed so that is not so bad. Shop rate. They would not put the bike on the dyno with any repair done to a rear. this tech was the Yamana factory tech for the drag team for years so his concerns were for a separation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM

tyre

On my XVS 1300 i plugged rear tyre after a tech screw was embedded in it and rode it at h/way speeds for another 8000ks before i replaced it with no dramas...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
there is nothing stopping YOU from plugging this tire for yourself. you can get a plug/patch kit at Walmart for 5-10 bucks and it has all the poking/plugging tools..

+1

I would be a lot more circumspect about self-plugging (other than in a remote emergency) if it were the front tire.

But as Brain mentioned, if it pierces the sidewall the tire is toast.

Good luck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

I owned a car repair shop for years and plugged many tires with few failures but with only 2 tires to keep you alive it may always be better to replace than repair. Only takes one failure. Read in Ducati forums that Dunlop is ok with a plug patch but does not recommend it due to cord damage on a very active tire.

2006 Strat S Rider
North Texas
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Garage
It would not bother me at all to plug and ride. Done it many times over the years.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM

I've used the plugs and never had any issues. The repair lasted as long as the treads did. I don't know about a dyno run with a plugged tire though, that might be a little risky.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

That is what the tech said. Does not want to risk a failure with it spun all the way up

2006 Strat S Rider
North Texas
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 PM

The tire speed will be a lot higher on a dyno run than it ever will in real world conditions. With no wind resistance the tire speed will probably blast right past the 140 barrier and I might be wrong but I think the Bridgestone is speed rated at 130, with a plug in it I wouldn't want to do a 130 blast.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode