Transmission issues shifting into 1st gear?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Transmission issues shifting into 1st gear??

Twice so far my bike has refused to go into first at a stop. I'm about to call the dealer tomorrow, but want to see if anyone else has experienced this.
First time was after leaving a friend's house, rode about 200 yards to the stop light and downshifting it didn't put it into first. I had to upshift to 3rd or something and then try to put it back down. Ended up launching it in 2nd gear.
Second time happened yesterday. Had been riding about 75 miles when I exited the freeway to stop at the store. Pulled up to a light, and same thing happened. Any ideas?? Are these prone to transmission problems?? I don't think a bike that just passed 1000 miles should be acting like this...

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Banned

Make sure you have the clutch cable adjusted "perfectly". It doesn't take too much free play to make finding 1st tricky. I use the coin method, adjust the free play until you can just fit a quarter edgewise into the clutch handle gap with only a light squeeze of the lever (before you start to feel resistance).

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned

keep us posted on this....someone is just dying to hijack this so don't keep us waiting LOL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Looked under your profile. Don't see what bike or bikes you have. What bike and model do you have? You posted your question under Strats and Roadliners, I think you have one or the other. Neither has a clutch cable. They are hydraulic operated. Ensure the system is free of air. Check your manual or a service book for instructions. You may also check "linerwiki". I have not had this issue from my Strat.

http://linerwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

MDSR

"ride to live"
'06 Stratoliner "S", '02 HD Heritage Softail

Last edited by mdikesr; 03-15-2011 at 11:02 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 AM

OK. Did a forum search. Appears you have a Roadliner per your posts. Make sure your clutch lever resvoir is to the full mark. Bleed the system and retest clutch and trans operation. When you remove the cover to the resvoir be careful not to drip/spill any fluid on painted surfaces. It will stain and sometimes remove paint. After filling resvoir install the cover. Pump ur lever several times and hold in. At same time crack the bleeder on the slave cylinder. Place a small container under the slave to catch the fluid and retain your clean shop floor. Do this several times untill all air is removed from the system. If you have to bleed several times, stop and recheck your level in the resvior, and continue as started. If you need more help, PM me.

MDSR

"ride to live"
'06 Stratoliner "S", '02 HD Heritage Softail
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:11 PM

You have to down shift all the way to low before you stop, if you stop and are in second or third it will not shift until it is rolling.
Its happened to me and a lot of others, we had a pretty good discussion on this a couple years ago on the Stratoliner/Roadliner forum.
Hope this helps
Jim
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdikesr View Post
OK. Did a forum search. Appears you have a Roadliner per your posts. Make sure your clutch lever resvoir is to the full mark. Bleed the system and retest clutch and trans operation. When you remove the cover to the resvoir be careful not to drip/spill any fluid on painted surfaces. It will stain and sometimes remove paint. After filling resvoir install the cover. Pump ur lever several times and hold in. At same time crack the bleeder on the slave cylinder. Place a small container under the slave to catch the fluid and retain your clean shop floor. Do this several times untill all air is removed from the system. If you have to bleed several times, stop and recheck your level in the resvior, and continue as started. If you need more help, PM me.
Mdikesr is right on the mark.
Do what he has posted and you should be good to go.
Swomack

It's All About The Ride
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I have a vacuum brake bleeder that I have used on my other bikes with good results. Even though I just bought the bike brand new a month ago with only 3 miles (1700 now) it's a 2008 so I was already thinking about flushing and bleeding the brake fluid from the clutch and brakes.
Thanks for your guys' input! I'll make sure I'm into 1st while still rolling as well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:01 PM

I have experienced exactly what Dyna118 was describing. Also, make sure after you downshift a gear that you let the shifter spring back to a neutral position before downshifting again. It's a ratchet shifter, if you do get it stuck between gears, just let the clutch out just enough to touch the friction zone and then back in.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:28 AM

Typical manual trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Midnight View Post
Twice so far my bike has refused to go into first at a stop. I'm about to call the dealer tomorrow, but want to see if anyone else has experienced this.
First time was after leaving a friend's house, rode about 200 yards to the stop light and downshifting it didn't put it into first. I had to upshift to 3rd or something and then try to put it back down. Ended up launching it in 2nd gear.
Second time happened yesterday. Had been riding about 75 miles when I exited the freeway to stop at the store. Pulled up to a light, and same thing happened. Any ideas?? Are these prone to transmission problems?? I don't think a bike that just passed 1000 miles should be acting like this...

Thanks!!!
Dieseldave is correct.
Please don't mess with the clutch and fluid. i doubt there is a problem here if you bike doesn't try to drag you forward when the clutch lever is pulled. if the clutch was at fault you would be grinding gears all the time when trying to shift in to gear and the bike will want to pull you along even though the clutch is in. if the bike doesn't do that then you are making a ton of work for nothing. it's a hydraulic clutch nothing to adjust.

i assume you don't have much experience with manual transmissions. this is a very common thing with manual transmissions with straight cut gears. helical cut gears are easier to get to engage because the diagonal cut allows for easier engagement. straight cut gears tend to butt up against the gear face and wont engage as easily. GM made the Muncie M22 "rock crusher" which was their strongest manual trans. it was loud and shifted harder because it had straight cut gears, but was strong as hell. the M21 which had helical cut gears could shift much easier but was weaker because of it.
when you get in this situation, just let the clutch out briefly to get the gears moving. this will let them line up so they can move in to place. this happens to me all the time if i forget to down shift while the internals are still spinning. not a big deal. bikes are no different from cars or trucks. trucks tend to have straight cut gears and if you have ever tried to shift a truck, some times it is impossible to get them in gear unless you let the clutch out to get things moving so the gears can mesh. if you crack open the reservoir you are just making a ton of trouble for yourself. good luck.

Last edited by TheBrain; 03-19-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode