More Tire Help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

More Tire Help

Well buying tires was sure easier in the old days. Im trying to figure out the size and brand to run on my Strat.
I was wanting the Avon Cobra's until some of the posts said there was trouble with them? I am still interested but not sure if I can trust them.

I also looked at the Metzeler Marathon 880. I guess now its the 200/55R-17 for the rear. But on the front there is a 130/70 HR or a HB -18? Im guessing the HR is the one that would be best suited for the strat since its fitted for the VTX1800 and the HB is suppose to be for the Goldwing?

I normally buy mail order since bike/tire places a few and far between in our area and they dont show full tire data.

I looked at Wiki for tire suggestions and it appears there outdated because of the sizes shown.

Can the Avons be trusted? and what size's.
Which Metzeler for the front HB or HR/

Any help would be apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Tires

I see some people using the Metzler and are happy. One person I know and my dealer steared me away. Said there was a problem but I do not know what it was. So I stick to the origional size in Donlops and Bridgestones.

I think the H or in some cases Z is a speed rating. Z being 149 MPH, H is 130. The B or R is Biased or Radial tire. I think you want the Radial for the Liner.

One source.
Front
http://www.shadetreepowersports.com/...onthsBetween=0

Rear
http://www.shadetreepowersports.com/...onthsBetween=0

Dave

Last edited by linerdave; 03-23-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: edit speed rating
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 AM

130/70-18 front.
190/60-17 rear... some go wider more available 200/55-17.

The R radials...
Stay away from the ZR's especially in the Metzeler. Hi speed tire wears real fast.
And the Brazil made tires many had issue with, dry rot cracking.

The new 200 metz some are having good luck with, just not enough miles for good review. The Avon's have been reviewed by many and seem to be the best choice right now. the rest is preference. I have the dunlop's that came on it and around 4,000 miles and they look good so just hoping they hold up while some get more miles on theres for review. The 200 width popular as HD tire so many available dunlops and avon.
Had over 43,000 on my R* it was on its third rear tire, and I could get 12,000 and change and replace with little wear would just start to get flat spot, loved Metz marathon's on that bike.

Good Luck... Some more will post in, if you have time keep reading...lol
Ride Safe.

Last edited by bowhunter4265; 03-24-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Front tire

I'm guessing the H(B) is the Bias tire and the H(R) is the Radial? Is the 200/55 rear Marathon a Radial?.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Yes it should be a radial...
200/55 R 17 M/C 78V TL this is Metz part.
width/percent height/R-Radial/B-Bias/Motorcycle/78-load limit/V-speed
I don't remember what TL is

Other places that sell just label as 200/55R-17

but in there specs should label tire as V rated for speed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Just put on metzlers 200 on rear and stock front.you can feel the difference right away especially cornering.bike leans a lot more.had them on my 1600 vulcan and loved them,great on wet roads.good luck. BOB Z
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 AM

Just turning 400 miles on my new Avon Cobras and couldn't be happier. They are quieter than the oem bridgestones and much more responsive. Haven't done wet roads yet 'cause it refuses to rain here but tires workin' real good in all other conditions so far
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Tires

Well I went with the Avon's. They sure are a bitch to put back on the wheel. Back in the good old days with narrow tires it wasnt much of a problem, now with these wide suckers I think im going to spring for a tire changer.

I did go ahead and by a bike lift because of this thing and some future bike restoration jobs. Other than my old Harley this is the heaviest bike I have owned. It looks like a tire changer is next.

I read somewhere the recomended tire pressure for the Avons but cant find it now. I think the manual says 39 front and 41 rear?
Anyone know what the Avons should be ran on (doubled up most of the time).

Thanks for the help. These bike forums are great for sharing info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode