Any one come from a Sport-Touring to Roadliner bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Any one come from a Sport-Touring to Roadliner bike

Keep tossing the "What Should I get" for the next bike. It's basically between a Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS or one of the liner series.

Took both out during Arizona Bike Week Demo Days. I don't want to have buyers remorse and was wondering on some feedback by folks that switched from Sport-Touring to Cruiser style.

On the Connie, I had a blast. The group ride was doing 90-100 mph and could not even tell I was going that fast.

My Pros are

ABS Brakes
Traction Control
Heated Grips
instrumentation not on the tank but in front of me.

My Cons:

Concern of the ergonomics of having my legs/knee bent and leaning forward for riding position for long periods. I know there are after market products, but not sure if it would be a true fix for all day riding.

Roadliner/Stratoliner

Great Power but not like the Connie and love the classic look of old school Motorcycles.

Love chrome and the ability to change the exhaust notes and better customization with after market products.

Pros

Have room to put a fairing with radio.
Can stretch my legs forward.
Probably more storage room with aftermarket bags
Riding position is like sitting on the couch

Cons:

Instruments on the tank making it harder to see with a Full Face Helmet
No ABS, slightly annoying but not a deal breaker

So any of you have some insider tips of "Been there, Done That"

Thanks

Last edited by mi2az; 04-16-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:46 AM

Change

You will probally find most of us come from sports bikes at one time or another...having slowed down a heap in my life i aint in so much of a hurry to get to heaven/hell now so i ride a roadliner...Its gots ample power for me and i enjoy changing stuff to make it my own...I had for a short time mixed feelings having to leave the sports bike scene but i reckon its probally the best thing i have done....Love the laid back attitude that comes with riding a cruiser and giving sports bike riders a scare when i am feeling in the mood for some craziness by cranking it up...Makes their eyes pop when you keep up with them...Until they really open the throttle....I giggle like a girl for 20mins every time i do it.......
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 AM

If you shop around for quality "Used"...you could have one of each.

I have an FJR 1300 that I bought new in 2005. Great bike. I got the bug for a cruiser two years ago, and bought a Strat. I split my riding duties between the two. Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
Keep tossing the "What Should I get" for the next bike. It's basically between a Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS or one of the liner series.
Last Spring, it was a brand new 2009 Concours, non ABS, for $11,000 or an '08 Strat for the same money with 3500 on it.

I had ridden the Kawi twice and really like it. It didn't have the flat out nuts of the 'Busa I was coming off, nothing does, but, it had bags and a much more comfortable ergo's for my 47 year old frame but...

Well, it just didn't have the 'feel' I wanted on the highway.

So, as a due diligence move, I road the Strat. It had an aftermarket tour pac which I liked and the guy talked in terms of 1850 cc's and I was like, well...let's give it a go.

So, instantly, on the highway, THAT is what I was looking for; STABLE. Ability to, sorta like the Busa, twist and go without dropping 2 or more gears. Just Go. NOW.

So, I am thinking, it's gonna suck in the twists, which is at least 60% of my riding.

That is where the Strat closed the deal. It just wants to turn and twist. And explode all over the place. GREAT handling bike, even more so when you look at how freaking big it is.

Is it a Busa? No. Could I keep up with the Kawi on back roads? Probably not. But, it is really good, especially given the size and stability I get on the highway.

You will want a bigger tank, radio and cruise control. Plus, if you are tall, some Bucks lowers to get rid of the helmet buffeting.

In any event, the Concours is more in BMW sport tour league and a very good bike. It is not in that Sport/cruiser category that is Wings, Strats and amped up cruiser HD's. So, there is your choice.

PS: I have yet to wish I had ABS on the Strat. GREAT brakes, superb front and very responsive rear that will grab what it can and let go RIGHT AWAY if you want it to.

PPS: There are some criminal steals out there on '08/09 Strats.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

Yeah, but I went with the Stratoliner for better handling in the rain...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Both ways

I too have both types of motorcycle.

I own a Ducati and a Roadliner.

I come from many years of superbike, super sport and dual sport motorcycles.

The Roadliner is my first cruiser. I have ridden many other "croozers" in the past so when I tried a Roadliner and realized the power at hand it was a no brainer.

I do not like the croozer riding position. Tailbone weighted, sail in the wind and feet forward is okay in town but out on the highway it quickly becomes a chore. The windshield looks crappy, but it does help with the continuous arm stretching, however you then have to contend with the tailbone jarring ride.

A sport touring style motorcycle is in my future.

Concours or the new BMW 6 would be just the ticket to replace both of my machines.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM

They are all nice

Guess that is why they make so many different kinds of bikes. I would like to have a sport touring bike but I would never give up the Liner to get it. I do like the feet forward thing.

Doubt if I would spend $35k to buy the new BMW though, as nice as it must be. The idea of having both sport touring and cruiser would be great. The cost might not.

Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Banned

Although I think the Stratoliner comes very close for me, nobody builds an off-the-rack "perfect fit" motorcycle.

Some of the things Duk mentions as detractors are easy fixes and a lot less than the cost of a BMW (whose S/T models have evil reputations out of the box for expensive hi-tech gremlins).

The tailbone issue can be cured with a quality aftermarket seat; "reach" issues can be cured with touring handlebars and/or risers.

A good aftermarket seat can be had for $300; touring bars for $195; risers for $247. A batwing fairing with radio and "sportbike" type windshield is around $1600.

So if one were to need/desire all of those things, $2500 would do it all. Long way from the price tag of the S/T.

But of course if a person wants an S/T, then no cruiser, however comfortably appointed will ever satisfy.

I eliminated S/T's (and Kawi Nomad/Voyager and Goldwing 1800's) by actually sitting on and riding them before I opened my checkbook.

Due diligence, caveat emptor and all that old-fashioned stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode