Wierdness about Strat dying while driving. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Wierdness about Strat dying while driving.

Okay have given my wife a ride when we tested the bike, daughter on a few different rides, my son to school. Today took the wife on a 20 mile ride. Slowing down to turn pullin g the clutch in and let off the gas, it felt like it weasn't running-let the clutch out and it did restart so it had died. Pulled to the stop sign and it died again according to the RPM's so I hit the starter fired right up. Keep it running to home by pumping the throttle. Got to the garage it died. Then took the helmets off and the wife got off looked a little bit and sarted it and the idle RPM's stayed up. WHAT is going on going for a short tester ride by self right now.

Thanks for help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:55 PM

Idle

Couple of guesses,

This time of year we hear a lot about bad gas after setting all winter.

Check the TPS. (Throttle Position Sensor.)

Dave
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

ride went well

I went for a short ride and it went great no problems of stalling or dying. Now the wife thinks its her NO WAY.

What is the gas people use should it be only 91 I went to a station that didn't have 91 was 87 I think.

And help me with the TPS what and where THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 PM

Stalling

From the Liner Wiki here is and article on stalling.

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/index.ph...Id=47&blogId=1

The throttle position sensor is a varilable resistor that tells the Electronic control unit what the throttle position is. Is located on the throttle body under the tank. Here is a link to a service manual. Adjusting the TPS is on page 6-12 and checking it is on page 7-89.

Hopefully you only had a fuel probelm an it is OK. Sounds like the worst would be out of adjustment since it is now working. I don't hear much about TPS problems.

I have never had the stalling problem. But have seen some comments by a few on stalling at near idle speed. I guess I would leave the idle adjusting screw alone unless it becomes a problem since the idle is actually controlled by the ECU. I think that adjustment takes it up untill it starts to override the ECU.

The Liner Wiki is.

http://www.linerwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Dave
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Some people have complained about the clutch switch effecting the ECU. Occasionally the engine would die. Normally its just deccel popping that it causes but you could try disconnecting the clutch switch and see if it makes a difference.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Lubricating the clutch switch so it properly engages and disengages has remedied it for some and others found the part is cheap enough, so they have just replaced it. It's one of those quirks that are only effecting certain liners but the numbers are growing. Pin pointing the exact cause is suspect, as the TPS has caused similar symtoms on other models but some feel it is more likely the clutch switch is the culprit. Yamaha has done very little about this known issue so people are beginning to petition by filing claims with the NHTSA for a recall as stalling a motorcycle is a saftey concern and the root cause needs to be identified and get fixed immediately.

You've bought a great motorcycle, so don't second guess your decision for a moment. Be patient as this will get sorted out and once resolved you'll find it is the best cruiser around.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:49 PM

A few months after I got my '09 Strat, I was riding by myself on a 2-lane blacktop in Eastern Iowa when the bike lost power, for no reason I could see. It just started slowing down and the road I was on had about a 1 foot gravel shoulder. It didn't seem to be electrical at first, then I decided it was. I was getting ready to call for help when I noticed the cut-off switch had flipped to the off position. I SWEAR I never touched it. I did have gloves on and had driven it at least a thousand miles by then, if not more, so I wasn't a complete greenhorn. It has NEVER happened again. Only thing I can figure out is that the gremlin that did it fell off the bike from laughing at me and I was able get away while it was rolling in the weeds. Watch out for those damned things. Seems like they're EVERYWHERE these days.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridUser View Post
A few months after I got my '09 Strat, I was riding by myself on a 2-lane blacktop in Eastern Iowa when the bike lost power, for no reason I could see. It just started slowing down and the road I was on had about a 1 foot gravel shoulder. It didn't seem to be electrical at first, then I decided it was. I was getting ready to call for help when I noticed the cut-off switch had flipped to the off position. I SWEAR I never touched it. I did have gloves on and had driven it at least a thousand miles by then, if not more, so I wasn't a complete greenhorn. It has NEVER happened again. Only thing I can figure out is that the gremlin that did it fell off the bike from laughing at me and I was able get away while it was rolling in the weeds. Watch out for those damned things. Seems like they're EVERYWHERE these days.
You need to have someone get you one of those "Gremlin Bells".

It doesn't work if you buy it yourself. Someone has to buy it for you.

FS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Strat View Post
You need to have someone get you one of those "Gremlin Bells".

It doesn't work if you buy it yourself. Someone has to buy it for you.

FS
You got that right....mine has saved me numerous times......

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 PM

You need to adjust your air fuel screws they are currently 1 3/4 turns to 2 turns out, turn them in till they seat and back them out a full 3 turns, I had the same problem on my 2010 did that and problem seems to be solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode