confused - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

confused

Hi everyone. I just got a road liner. Its big, powerful and great looking. I cannot figure out what size windshield I should have. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I rode it home from where I bought it without a shield and the wind in my ears was deafening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Windshield

Here is a link to a U tube video by Cruiser Customizing on windshield height.

I have the stock Stratoliner windshield. There was some buffeting at freeway speeds. I installed Buck's Lowers, took care of the buffeting. The top of my windshield is just about my nose.

Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM

Noise

Robey,

I should mention, Liners are not a quiet bike. Intake noise is high and if your airbox has been modified it increases. That big engine sucks a lot of air in a short time with two big pistons.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 AM

A windshield will certainly make the situation better (great link linerdave!). I assume you wear a helmet? I wear earplugs using both a helmet and windshield. Protect your hearing and have a great time!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM

Yamaha make,s three size,s....small..med...Large...I,m 6ft 3in...I got the bike with the small one an got alot of buffeting on the head,, Just got the med one an wish i got it last year...fit,s just rite...Now if you get the large one, you better be 7ft tall..lol or yer going to be LOOKING through the shield....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

This works marvelously for me. The slipstream is deflected almost completely over my head:

And as a huge PLUS, I never have to worry about it fogging or otherwise decreasing my view ahead.

Disclaimer: I do wear a full face helmet with pinlock anti-fog insert.

Good luck
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Wow! What great people in here. Thank you for all the information. I will continue doing my home work before purchasing anything.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Liner Dave: Thanks for the video. I'm on it!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

My next question to everyone is this: Do any of you change your own fluids? I am very capable and have the proper tools. Is this a difficult job? Its not all about the money for an oil change, I enjoy this kind of job.
Also, my father (Harley rider) still rides at 80 year old is on me about synthetic oils. I went to my local dealership and they recomend not going 100% synthetic but going with a synthetic blend. 1) anyone have any advice on the "do it yourself" oil change and
2) your opinion of synthetic oils.

Thanks guys!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robey6 View Post
Do any of you change your own fluids? I am very capable and have the proper tools. Is this a difficult job?
1) anyone have any advice on the "do it yourself" oil change and

2) your opinion of synthetic oils.

Thanks guys!

Oh no! An oil thread!!!:

1. Opinions on oils are like politics are like women are like religion. Most modern oils that meet Yamaha specs are safe to use. I like Valvoline 20-50W dyno for my Stratoliner. I change it every 3000 miles. Even if I were to use synthetic, I would change it every 3000 miles. It's an aircooled engine. I like to keep the oil lubricity fresh (regardless of brand).

2. Changing oil is a bit of a challenge on the big beast as you have three drains: two sumps, one oil reservoir. Normally that wouldn't be a deal breaker, but you'll have to have a safe and reliable way to get that bike up in the air--AND STABLE--far enough to swing a wrench on those sump drains.

This can be problematic with table jacks as the table will block either the sump drains or the reservoir drain. Nonetheless, I use a JC Whitney table jack, drain the reservoir and pull the filter, then lower and reposition to get at the sumps.

Other folks have other methods. I recommend you listen to them because I am the poster-child for unskilled labor

But I do change my oil...

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode