Strat Luggage Ideas - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Strat Luggage Ideas

Ok, so I am looking for ideas on how to strap as much crap onto my bike as possible. My wife and I do longer road trips, usually at least a week, and we are trying to figure out how to get all of our stuff on this thing so that we don't have to buy a trailer. Obviously we cannot take everything that we would have if we used our car but I don't really want to be a hardcore minimalist either. I have the luggage rack which I am getting a t-bag for. Does anyone have recommendations for a good one that is really big? I have seen racks that mount on top of HD saddlebags. Is there anything like this out there for the strats? I know I can get a t-bag and maybe a tank bag and those two combined with the saddlebags may be enough room. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 PM

For carrying heavy loads you can't beat Corbin Fleetliner bags.

http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/ylnrbag.shtml

They carry twice the volume of the stock bags, look very stylish, and are (as you would expect) pretty damn expensive. However, if you're serious about hauling a large load, they would be the way to go. You'll obviously also want something for the luggage rack and a tank bag. Star has a pretty cool tank bag that's specifically made for Liners.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/.../0/detail.aspx

You might consider investing in an aftermarket rear shock like the Progressive 465 to help handle the added weight.

Ride on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 PM

Trunk and back rest

Bighog,

If you are willing to spend a ton of money look at a large trunk with a wrap around back rest. It will carry more than your bags. Two helmets side by side and your wife's hair dryer. The back rest will really add a lot to your wife's comfort. Which means you don't need to stop as often. To tell the truth that is a big reason I bought my trunk. A rack is an option so another bag could be added to the top of it.

Look at Scootworks Super trunk 3. If you buy the trunk, mounting hardware, Back rest, and rack, you will not be far from a grand. I procrastinated for a year and finally broke down over the winter. Wife loves it. I have not taken a trip yet this year but I will be able to carry twice as much as last year. Even when not traveling we can just put the two helmets in it rather than leaving them out.

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/p...83216296.26382

There is a trunk on E Bay about the same size for a couple hundred bucks. But, it is not nearly as strong or heavy material and it has plastic hinges and only one latch. It mounts on your luggage rack. I was afraid the rack would not be strong enough and I worried about the plastic hinges. When the trunk is closed the top overlaps the bottom some so the hinges do not take the pressure of the passenger leaning against it. Of course for under $200 you could buy four of them for one Scootworks. Unless your stock luggage rack breaks.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Bighog,

If you are willing to spend a ton of money look at a large trunk with a wrap around back rest. It will carry more than your bags. Two helmets side by side and your wife's hair dryer. The back rest will really add a lot to your wife's comfort. Which means you don't need to stop as often. To tell the truth that is a big reason I bought my trunk. A rack is an option so another bag could be added to the top of it.

Look at Scootworks Super trunk 3. If you buy the trunk, mounting hardware, Back rest, and rack, you will not be far from a grand. I procrastinated for a year and finally broke down over the winter. Wife loves it. I have not taken a trip yet this year but I will be able to carry twice as much as last year. Even when not traveling we can just put the two helmets in it rather than leaving them out.

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/p...83216296.26382

There is a trunk on E Bay about the same size for a couple hundred bucks. But, it is not nearly as strong or heavy material and it has plastic hinges and only one latch. It mounts on your luggage rack. I was afraid the rack would not be strong enough and I worried about the plastic hinges. When the trunk is closed the top overlaps the bottom some so the hinges do not take the pressure of the passenger leaning against it. Of course for under $200 you could buy four of them for one Scootworks. Unless your stock luggage rack breaks.

Dave
I have seen those but I can't imagine that they hold more than a big t-bag do they? I have a hard time spending that much money on something that I will only use two or three times a year and realistically I could have an entire trailer setup for not a whole lot more. Is the rack really that weak? It seems like a pretty solid piece but I've been wrong before. Keep the ideas coming guys, this is helping me sort through all the options.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM

T bag

I used a Rally Pack in the past. The trunk holds much more. It is a big trumk. As I said though, I bought it almost as much for passenger comfort as for the space. The wrap around back rest is much more comfortable than a sissy bar. Nice to be able to just put the helmets there.

Lot of money, I did have to think about it for a year. Now that I have done it I'm glad but lot of money. It does also change the appearance of the whole bike. May not be for you.

As to the luggage rack. I don't know. I saw a post where an 1100 rack broke from having a trunk on it. But, the Liner's rack is stronger. It is not the weight that woudl brake it. Itwould be the passenger leaning againsed it when you hit a bump. I had an 1980 Honda I put a trunk on and I kept the mounting bolts in the tunk for spares. I broke several. If i hit a bump with teh wife leaning back it would brake the bolts. I believe you would be OK with the Liner rack but it is a question. The weight raiting on the rack is very low 10 or 15 lbs can't remember but in that ball park. It is actually much stronger than that but that is the rating. My Rally pack was on it and full to the top. Much heaver than 10 lbs. But the mount for the Scootworks trunk is much stronger than stock rack.

Just food for thought. Everyone does not want the same thing. I believe there is a picture of my trunk in my profile.
Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Ya I actually really like the look so no problems there. It is just the money that I cannot really justify. Like I said, we only will use it a few times a year. I found a t-bag that looks pretty huge here: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/700/Full-Dresser-Bag
I think that is gonna be the way to go for me. This way there is not a ton of weight on the rack and I think this will hold more than just about anything else out there.
So I am assuming that nobody knows of a rack system for the top of the saddle bags? It was kind of a shot in the dark but like I said, I have seen them on some Harleys. I would love to be able to get the Corbin bags but they are just way to much money. I am beginning to wonder if I should just look more into the trailer thing. When we travel it is usually to Montana where I am from and we always go camping and hiking and I would hate to not be able to bring essentials for those activities. Harbor Freight has a small trailer that is about $400 and with the hitch and wiring harness I am still well under the $1,000 mark. Anyone have experience with pulling a trailer with a liner? I know it has the power but as far as tire wear and things like that, I would be interested to hear what you all have to say.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Hey Bighog85, I have the bag you're looking at. Be careful.. that bag fully loaded bent my first luggage rack. They are only rated for 10 lbs, and that bag weighs something like 8 lbs empty. Of course, I did overload the snot out of it, but it sounds like that's what you are planning to do. I had a week's worth of clothing, rain gear, spare helmet and being the designated mechanic for our road trips I had tools in there as well. By the end of the week I had moved it to the rear seat once I noticed the bent rack. It's a great bag, but the factory luggage rack is kind of flimsy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
If you look on ebay like linerdave suggested the trunks are 119.95 to your door black in color. I've been looking at them also. They look like they will hold a lot of beer. lol A good t-bg will set you back more than that. I have a tour master t-bag that was 140.00 on sale. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode