passenger pillion removal ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

passenger pillion removal ?

Hi all,

Just getting used to my new strato deluxe and loving it.....new Corbin seat is on the way, and I am wondering how easy it is to remove the passenger pillion seat? nay one done it? and tips ?

cheers
Papa D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

There be an old coot on here by the name Springer. He's done it and replaced it with a chrome rack.

ps.

when you find it, try not to show your displeasure with his choice of paint color.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

here it is:

(see what I mean about the color)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post

ps.

when you find it, try not to show your displeasure with his choice of paint color.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
I am wondering how easy it is to remove the passenger pillion seat? nay one done it? and tips ?

cheers
Papa D

It's a highly stressful operation; I went through two cups of coffee and a doughnut...

1. Unlatch operator seat (use key, of course) and set aside.
2. Assume a slightly unnatural bend and look back under the pillion seat; the pillion seat mount screw will be looking at you(facing forward in line with the seat). If memory serves (and it usually doesn't) it's a 10mm mount bolt. Remove same using short socket extension (and don't do any French carving on the fender when you swing the ratchet)
3. Grasp pillion seat and pull it slightly forward and lift up on the front. The rear of the seat is secured in the mounts with two flanges; once clear, remove the pillion seat and sell it to Stratowart for an exorbitant sum of money (Say...2 or 300 clams?).
4. I don't know what you plan to do after removing the pillion seat, but I suspect you'll want to remove (and save) the seat mounting brackets that are secured by 4 metric allen screws threaded into the rear fender. If you're replacing the pillion seat with the Star luggage rack, it will use those fender mount fittings. If you're going to leave the fender naked, then you'll probably want to re-insert the 4 screws in the fender (blue Loctite). Probably you'll want to hunt down some chrome or stainless screws to dress it up a little.

When you remove the pillion seat, you'll see the four clear fender protectors Yamaha applied to prevent finish damage by the rubber shock absorbers on the bottom of the pillion seat. I left mine intact; properly shined they're almost invisible.

It's taken longer to type this than it did to remove the pillion seat and mount brackets.

Good luck

Last edited by Springer; 05-25-2011 at 05:06 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

thnak you both for your insight....and for the comic relief! don't have a lot of clams right now myself, but for about six hundred shiny red buttons I could be talked into letting it go !

cheers
and thanks

Papa D
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 PM

Hey Springer. Would you mind posting your Strat rear fender pics again. Will likely get the Yamaha rack but would like to see how she looks, and your pics are gone.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron G View Post
Hey Springer. Would you mind posting your Strat rear fender pics again. Will likely get the Yamaha rack but would like to see how she looks, and your pics are gone.
My pleasure:

I have the Ultimate seat which is a little fluffier than the OEM, so your results may be slightly different.

The whole process is pretty straight forward except messing with the tapered rack spacers may be good for a sailor-word or two (worked for me). I did leave the 4 clear protective patches on (used in order to keep lardbucket pillion pax from doing French carvings on the paint). They aren't noticeable with the rack installed unless you look very carefully. The supplied hardware installs directly into the bolt mounts for the pillion seat that you remove. Cake. (Expensive, but still cake...)

Good luck with it
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Nice! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode