PC III= Bad mileage & issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

PC III= Bad mileage & issues

Okay I'm over the PC III....I've had nothing but trouble with it...
Currently running V&H two into one, stock air with O2 sensors off...hate it...still have the flat spots, intermittant backfiring and CRAPPY mileage. I'm talking 25-28 MPG...this sucks big time.
I've tried various MAPS, different setting and almost everything I can think of to include with O2's, and without, and I don't want to BAK the bike.
I'm considering running the factory settings (pulling out the PC III) and resetting the bike with the battery disconnect method.
Question is is ANYONE running a V&H two into one with the factory set up? If so how is your bike doing?

ANY ADVICE would be GREATLY appreciated......

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 PM

If you revert to stock with a battery disconnect please keep us in the loop. I too run a PCIII, have poor mileage and backfiring.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Sorry to hear. I don't have the V&H on this bike. Just a slip on. But have done the Cover off mod with K&N filter. Stock ECU, works good. Sometimes pops a little but not enough to scare me. Anyway CO mod can be done to clear up popping too. Makes the low end idle better stops the popping so I've heard. Stock not enough or often to keep me doing changes. Also some have tried, clutch unplugged, I did it for while fuel eco went down not as low as yours, but never a problem, only thing you can't do is start bike in gear, if it stalled. I avg 38 or better, but run it pretty hard and do lot of fast hiway riding.
Good Luck Hope someone pops in with answer you need. But I think, you could go back to stock ECU setup, maybe cover off mod. It's free and you can change back.

Ride Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:37 PM

For the relatively minor changes you made to the bike a Cobra FI2000R would probably suit your needs better than a power commander. I run a K&N stock filter with a Roadhouse classic 2 into 1 and FI2000R and the bike runs perfect. Make sure you have a good seal on ALL of your exhaust joints and your exhaust gaskets. I had a bad exhaust gasket and the backfiring was out of control. The slightest amount of air getting sucked into your exhaust will cause backfiring.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Allright...took the PC III off and ran the bike for a decent little spin, here are MY thoughts:
1. This bike doesn't even need a PC on it, power difference is negligible at best...my assometer could not tell the difference in power.
2. Popping is minimal, almost the same as with the PC on, popping on shift is none, decel popping is barely there...only pops/backfires on standstill with a good roll of the throttle (this is due to the freeflow design of the V&H system I think as it did this as well with the PC III)
3. Fuel mileage is yet to be seen, however; I THINK the PC III was dumping more fuel than actually needed
4. Flat spots at approximately 45 & 75 are gone, I tried everything with the PC III to remove this....increse of fuel delivery, decrease of fuel....nothing took care of it, even across RPM bands I simply could not eliminate it.

Final thought: (for what it's worth, some may disagree)
The Stratoliner/Roadliner really does not require the PC III?
I think unless you are doing the BAK, Pipes and a few other mods it really isn't necessary.
I think the ECU on the bike along with the EXUP and O2 sensors will adjust to any exhaust mods. Some will disagree and that is okay, to each its own. I however have had nothing but issues since the install.
I have friends whom work at Yamaha and have told me even they are having to redo MAPS constantly on the big cruisers to get them just right. One of my buddies actually told me to disconnect it as it isn't really doing anything except shutting down the O2 sensors and adjusting 3 fuel curves. I'm not sure about the accuracy of that so I'll leave it be.

I'll keep everyone posted to how it runs with the V&H pipes and without the PC III

Always Remember 9/11/01
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 PM

I'm with you on that... even the fxstein blog. Talks about the Star likes it lean.. and only with there serious mods does the PC help.
Glad you got it working the way you ride. And that assometer seems to work for many.
Ride Safe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 PM

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the PC III. I went all the way and got the PR BAK, PCV and Autotune with my V&H 2 into 1. I had the shop tune it and it runs great...absolutely no popping, hesitation, or flat spots...significantly better than stock and I haven't even saved any trims. Don't know what gas mileage is, but it doesn't seem much worse than stock except for the fact I can't lay off the throttle.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratonut View Post
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the PC III. I went all the way and got the PR BAK, PCV and Autotune with my V&H 2 into 1. I had the shop tune it and it runs great...absolutely no popping, hesitation, or flat spots...significantly better than stock and I haven't even saved any trims. Don't know what gas mileage is, but it doesn't seem much worse than stock except for the fact I can't lay off the throttle.
Good to know and I'm sure glad for you that it's perfect! I just didn't want to go so far with mine....maybe I'm jumping the gun.....but I'll ask you and hopefully some others will chime in as well.
What kind of mileage per tank are you getting? I was only able to get about 90-93 miles per tank before I hit the dreaded reserve.
So I figured about another 20-25 miles for an estimate of 115 miles on almost four gallons of gas....not great MPG, but then I also think about the size of the bike. I was concerned when I heard of folks getting 35-45 MPG.....
I'm going to see how it goes for a few weeks and if everything stays Kosher I may sell the PC III or if nothing really changes I may just put it back in and see if I can get some help at a local Dyno shop.
Do you have your O2 sensors activated?

Always Remember 9/11/01
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 PM

The O2 sensor is definitely plugged in and activated...that's what allows the PC Autotune to do it's magic. It's too bad you don't have the PCV because then you could have the Autotune which costs about the same as getting a dyno test. I think the Autotune is probably better than getting a dyno map because it constantly calibrates changing variables as you ride.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't paid close attention to mileage since it's so dependent on how I ride. Nonetheless, even rapping it out to redline a number of times on a ride I'm undoubtedly getting over 100 miles per tank full. More conservative riding might take me into the 140 mile territory, so I'm probably in the 35 mpg range. I have the advantage of knowing absolutely nothing about fuel management systems so I let the experts take care of it. While this costs more, it also saves me from the kind of hassles you've been struggling with. Hope you get everything worked out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

You my friend are probably 100% correct.......autotune....

Always Remember 9/11/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode