Speedometer, odometer calibration - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Speedometer, odometer calibration

My '06 Stratoliner S consistently reads 3% high on speed and mileage.

I complained to the dealer when it was brand new (18,000 miles ago). He said it was within the manufacturer tolerance.

Anyone else notice this inflated speed and mileage reading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned

I've had other bikes closer to 10%. If it's only 3%, I have nothing to complain about. All vehicles will be some small percentage higher than actual. I'm sure legal issuse create this type of speed/milage gage error.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Wart, I'm with you, I think it's a legal thing. I'm pretty sure those fancy speed guns have a tolerance as well which is why you're fairly safe within say 9 mph over the limit. With both tolerances you could argue almost any ticket you got for 1-9 miles over the limit and win.

My wife fought a ticket earlier this year (as her own counsel and did very well). She brought into question the accuracy and tolerance of the radar gun. She actually had two tickets, one for illegal lane useage (driving in left lane) and speeding. The judge must have been impressed because he did drop the illegal lane change and was smiling the whole time, like he wanted to drop both but couldn't bring himself to it.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I've got 2 other motorcycles (Harley Davidson) and a Ford pickup truck. All three have odometer and speedometer readings within 1% of the GPS. Same was true with my Chevy pickup truck before I replaced it with the Ford.

So I was unpleasantly surprised to find that Yamaha was way off on their calibration for my '06 Stratoliner S.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Y'all might be right about legal issues on the speedometer calibration. Of course my only speeding ticket in the last 20 years was on the Stratoliner for doing 47 in a 35 zone. Friggin' Houston cop jumped out from behind a bush with radar gun in hand. His buddy down the street in the squad car pulled me over. I hate it when sh** like that happens.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

My Ford F350 is just about 4% off.

Nobody should consider 3% "way off",,what's the error tolerance on your GPS?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM

I don't know what the percentage is, but I know when my needle says 40 I'm actually at 38, according to the "your speed is" sign I have to pass every morning on the way to work. My buddy's "new" 04 650 reads even higher. We were riding together the other day and he was leading, and my needle was barely hitting 55. When we stopped I asked what his said and he said around 62. I just know that it reads high and adjust accordingly. My speed reads high, but the odometer is pretty much dead on. There was another thread about this same topic quite a while ago, maybe last fall, I think in the V-Star section.

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

GPS tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
,,what's the error tolerance on your GPS?
My GPS is a Garmin ZUMO 550.

If you ignore surveying GPS (cm accuracy), all "normal" GPS error is about 30 feet ever since Bill Clinton mandated that the Selective Availability be taken off the GPS satellite signals. On a 5 mile odometer test run, that is 0.11% error. The error was so small I could not notice it when I made the test run on the measured odometer check on the highway.

With respect to GPS speed, I can't verify how accurate that is, but I'm thinking it's a safe bet that GPS speed accuracy is going to be the same as its distance accuracy.

The legal issue mentioned above would only apply to the speedometer. I can't see how a 3% or 10% high odometer reading is going to help with respect to speeding.

Last edited by sailordon; 06-09-2011 at 02:48 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
My Ford F350 is just about 4% off.

Nobody should consider 3% "way off",,what's the error tolerance on your GPS?
I just wished that the speed-o in my 72 F370 worked at 45 it has me at 65.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode