Neutral Problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Neutral Problem

Just recently my 2006 Roadliner (10,500 miles) has been difficult to get into neutral when making a stop. When riding the gears shift OK, but I can't seem to get it into neutral and end up going between 1st and 2nd too many times before I finally can get into neutral. I checked the fluid level and it is OK. If I leave it in 1st and turn it off, I can get it into neutral later when I turn it on before starting it up. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Shifting

Star1853,

I May have answered you on another Forum. I do also have trouble getting the shifter to stop in neutral sometimes when the bike is hot. I think it is the nature of the beast and I just learn to deal with it.

Seems if I am in first gear and put pressure on the shifter. When the pressure gets to be enough to shift it brakes loose and goes through neutral and into second. Same thing happens from second to neutral.

I find it easer to start from second and tap gently down to neutral rather than push.

It has been embarressing at times. I have near 50,000 miles on the bike. It will not get better so practice. If you wait untill you are sitting at a tole booth you may hear horns.

Dave
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:39 AM

I have found that it is much easier to find neutral on the downshift if I slide my foot forward on the toe shifter. In other words instead of the ball of my big toe being over the toe shift, I have my arch over the toe shift. It helps a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

+1 on the replies by the two daves. If I don't find netural on the very first toe click going between 2nd and 1st, I can find netural on the first up shift and sometimes the next downshift. I find that most times I can hit it without much concentration but if that misses then a little extra concentration on what my left toes are doing always finds netural. I upgraded from a Warrior last year and the two scoots act very similar in that respect.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the tips. I did bleed the line and that fixed the problem. I do need to drain and replace the fluid, but that's for another day as it's too nice out not go for a ride.

Last edited by Star1853; 06-12-2011 at 07:55 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 AM

Star1853, I have a 2009 Stratoliner and have the same "finding neutral problem". As several people mentioned, it only happens when the tranny is warm. I asked the local dealer and they told me I was doing it wrong and that I should start doing it right. I wish there was a better shop in eastern IA, but I digress. You mentioned bleeding a line of some kind, and that fixed the problem. What line was it and what fluid and can I trust the idiots at my local shop to do it right, since I don't trust myself with anything mechanical anymore. Thanx.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Griduser:
I bled the clutch line to fix the problem until I could replace the clutch fluid using DOT 4 brake fluid per the manual.

See page 3-14 and 3-15 of the service manual on how to bleed the line. It's not very difficult. It takes a while for the manual to download so be patient and then save it to your hard drive for future reference.

http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/han...ice-manual.pdf

You will probably want to have the clutch fluid replaced even if the bleeding of the line fixes the problem. I have a local guy who works out of his garage after his day job to do some of my work. I paid $50 to replace the clutch fluid, brake fluid, and check the primary drive pulley nut to make sure it was staked properly.

See this for info on primary drive pulley nut:
http://www.linerwiki.com/index.php?t...ry_Drive_Pully

Last edited by Star1853; 06-16-2011 at 07:12 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 PM

Star1853, I'm REALLY confused now. I might have missed some messages between when you mentioned you had the problem and when you said how you fixed it. I'm not too mechanically-inclined anymore, but I can't understand how bleeding the brake lines would fix the problem of getting the transmission to go into neutral. Did I miss something?

If the problem is clutch fluid and there are more than just a few people that have experienced the problem, why wouldn't my local dealer know about the problem and offer to fix it (for a fee, of course)? Are we talking about two separate problems?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 AM

Grid, I think Star meant to say, "bleed the clutch line" and not bleed the brake line. Bleeding the clutch line will help the clutch disengage better.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

GridUser:
Dieseldave is correct about I should of said CLUTCH line, I corrected it. Having to replace the clutch fluid is not a problem with the bike, it's just part of normal maintenance. Try bleeding the clutch line as stated in the manual and see if it helps. If it does not help, then change the fluid, if this doesn't resolve the problem then you may have other issues. Here is a reply from another forum to my issue:
"Moisture in the system can cause the air but heat can also be a problem. If the slave cylinder the one at the engine got hot enough to boil the fluid in the clutch system there may have been a clutch event that caused the problem. If the clutch has a problem it needs to be serviced. I just mention these things so you know. It is most likely moisture in the fluid causing the problem and a simple change of the fluid will fix the situation for a long time. Brake fluid attracts moisture and needs to be changed every couple of seasons. Most people never change the fluid unless there is a problem. The clutch and brake both use "DOT 4" brake fluid."

Last edited by Star1853; 06-16-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode