replacement handlebars for Stratoliner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

replacement handlebars for Stratoliner

Just picked up an 06 Stratoliner. Moved up from a 1300 Tourer, which I liked, but just wasn't comfortable for the wife. I'm only 5' 8", so I had a lowering link with a progresive spring installed. It lowered it just enough so I can comfortably flat foot it. It already had a Mustang seat with backrest, power commander (which I know nothing about) and risers. I am looking for a handle bar replacement which will be narrower, lower and a little more pullback. I had purchased a Flanders handlebar, but it would not fit with the stock cables (I was told they would). During that handlebar replacement attempt, the mechanic foun a broken bracket under the handlebar, which the previous owner had taped then reinstalled.
Are the Yamaha Touring handlebars that much better? I would also like to put on a Mamphis Shades batwing fairing next year. Does anyone know if the OEM brackets will work or do I need the Memphis Shades Mounting Brackets. Are ther any other reasonably priced fairings out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfrankie View Post
Are the Yamaha Touring handlebars that much better? I would also like to put on a Mamphis Shades batwing fairing next year. Does anyone know if the OEM brackets will work or do I need the Memphis Shades Mounting Brackets. Are ther any other reasonably priced fairings out there?

Tough question. The Yamaha touring bars, in concert with an Ultimate seat and Kury grips, made a world of difference for me.

Here's a side by side (OEM on left/Touring on right):

A little more pullback, a little narrower, slightly higher. A $195.00 investment for the bars. With my arm length and riding posture it's worth it. Like anything else, a mod has to fit you to make it worthwhile, and you're the only credible judge of that.

My Reckless fairing fits the Strat standard windshield attach points.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect adjustments
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 PM

Not sure, but Yami Touring bars AND risers would probably require new cables/hoses.
I have the Yami T-bars and they help A LOT! All OEM cables/hoses.

MS Batwing requires MS mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the info. The previous owner had risers with the OEM bars. I will probably go with the touring bars as I cannot find anything else. I will also check out the Reckless fairing. You have a sharp looking bike Springer.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfrankie View Post
You have a sharp looking bike Springer.
Too kind by half, suh!

One other consideration. When I was looking at Star Risers/Touring Bars/Grips, etc. the service manager and I quickly found that installation of the risers with my fairing configuration would make access to the ignition frustrating at best, infernal at worst. Quite frankly, getting at my ignition switch under that Fusion radio is an art form requiring continual practice. Installation of risers would have made it a practical impossibility.

Fortunately the touring bars had enough rise as to fit my riding posture.

The Star fairings aren't much better, even without a radio...

Caveat emptor, eh?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I'll keep that in mind, Thanks
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Hey Springer; did you happen to measure the difference between to handelbars in height.. I have Barron Risors so I know i would have to replace cables or put the old risors back. i was thinking about apes but this looks like it would be just what i want with the risors thanks
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM

I just got my '09 Strat back from the shop after getting the touring handlebars installed. I'm 6'4" and didn't like the sitting position for long rides with the stock handlebars. I thought about getting risers as a solution but, because most of the wires on the Roadliner/Stratoliner bikes go thru the bars, I was afraid it would have to be totally rewired (this might not be the case, but I wasn't going to find out the expensive way). After putting a couple hundred miles on the new bars, I can say I like them a lot. I can sit almost entirely upright (which actually makes me hate the stock seat even more) which is more comfortable for me. The Yamaha touring bars use the same wiring harness as the original ones, though the mechanic said it cost me more in labor than they thought because it took a while to thread all the wires thru the new bars. I know it's just an illusion, but I actually feel like I sit closer to the ground and have better stability with the new bars. Once I install better seats, I think Big Blue will be ready for some longish rides.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Sorry for the extra message but Springer, where did you get the fairing? It's sweeter looking than many of the others I've seen on the Internet. Do they come in the actual Yamaha paint colors or did you have to get them painted yourself? Do they come off easily like the windshield (probably a dumb question because the point of a fairing is that they're not supposed to come off?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the touring handlebars and new grips today. The dealer closest to me did not have either one in stock. He went to order them and told be that the handlebars were on back order until the third week in September. The grips, Avon, had no back order date. I checked online and the two places I called also did not stock the parts. They just ordered from Yamaha. A buddy of mine suggested I call his Yamaha dealer. They did not have the parts BUT took the extra step and found 3 Yamaha dealers that did have the parts. I called the Minnesota dealership and he will be sending me both parts at a non-inflated price with free shipping. I was told by my dealer that the touring handlebars are very popular. My question is, why are they so popular? Is it because the original bars are just too big. It's been a very frustrating month trying to find narrower bars with more of a pullback. I settled for the touring bars. I'll soon find out if they are that much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode