Northwest Arkansas Ride - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Northwest Arkansas Ride

I live in North Central Ar (Jasper area) Some of the best riding in the world(my opinion) Yesterday wife and I loged 300 plus miles in the western part of the state.. hwy 7 south to Mt Nebo 18 % grade in about 4 miles crazy switchbacks (not for the novice) then to Mt Magizine the highest point in Arkansas.. then hwy 23 north(Pig Trail) on to Huntsville Ar then back to Daughters ballgame in Harrison. any of these are great rides if you are this way.. let me know i know some great rides around here also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Devil's Den State Park

FLAME PROOF,

You have a lot of great motorcycling roads in Arkansas. I've ridden some of them that you mentioned.

You didn't mention Devil's Den State Park, about 100 miles west of Jasper. I rode that last year on my '09 Harley Street Bob.

I was camping at Windingstair Mountain campground in Oklahoma, so a logical choice seemed to be to take Arkansas State Hwy 220.

Things were going fine until 4 miles from the State Park, the state highway turned into a dirt and gravel road. I've seen logging roads in better condition. To turn around and go in the main (paved) entrance would be about 40 miles, so I decided to take a chance.

It was a ride with a high "pucker factor". I was in 1st and 2nd gear all of that 4 miles. In first gear on one downhill, I could feel the back tire beginning to slip on the gravel with no brake. I kept tapping the front brake as much as I dared to keep from gaining speed. At the bottom of the downhill was a hairpin turn.

I departed Devil's Den using Hwy 74. Much more civilized.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

I used to go to Devils Den all the time. I haven't been for a while but it is a good ride ... Hwy 123 Between Mt. Judea and Lurton... East of Jasper is a good ride if you ever get back this way it's called the Arkansas Dragon's Tail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode