A little worried.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

A little worried....

So lets start by saying that I have had my Stratoliner Deluxe about 6 weeks now and loving it....

Some things that kinda bother me though...
1) Just becasue I purchased the bike from a dealer in the US and imported it into Canada, Yamaha Canada does not honor any warranty now that it is registered here....it's still a Yamaha, right? probably all built in Japan, right? I am thinking I may push on this one a little....

2) During about the third week of riding the bike I was travelling along one of our busiest highways here (the 401), when one of our typical poorly repaired potholes popped up out of no where and unavoidably was hit hard....now, I noticed today coming up an arterial road that when I took my hands off the grips, I could see a small wobble, or vibration.....not really noticable ( at least I don't notice while riding) to the feel, but then again the undersized stock grips allow me to feel all sorts of weird things....

anyhow, worried, not sure what to think......I guess basically I am going to start at the basics...1) check tire pressures...2)feel for any excess steering movement....but then what?

signed
worried...aka bummed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM

Call Stephen Harper and ask him what you should do.. lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Wheel

Guess you could jack the bike up and turn the wheel watching it turn to see if it is true. Maybe hold something close to see if the gap holds steady.

Hope it was the road surface.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Does the vibration change at different speeds or road surface? I agree with Dave on checking front wheel runout.Don't run factory tire pressure specs your front tire will start cupping. Run about 42 psi you will get better tire life also.Keeps us informed on low down.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 AM

After hitting a couple of potholes at speed and having the stock front shocks bottom out on my '07 Strat I had Progressive front fork springs installed. This produced a more controlled, stable ride. Hopefully there is no damage to your front end, and if not, you might consider putting heavier duty springs in the front forks.

Good luck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 AM

I'm surprised not covering warranty. wonder if you can get the extra yes warranty in CA and have that work for short period just for extra precaution.
But I am thinking the tire is just messed up belt from pothole giving you little wobble. Might be ok as is, or need to change tire to new one. After checking forks being true and no other issues...
Ride Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode