Exaust question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Exaust question

Went to another dealership yesterday to order baffles for the cobra slashdown pipes that came with my bike. I said something to the guy about kinda wising I still had original pipes with the EXUP exhaust and he said he had a couple of original take-offs in the back. I went to look at them and they were in good shape. Question is: Will I be better off going back to original w/ the EXUP? (I'll have to get an O2 sensor and the EXUP control cable) Or, should I just throw in some quiet baffles and be done with it.
Also, I already have the Cobra Power Commander...
Thanks,
WillyB.

Last edited by SoonerCraft1958; 07-08-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 PM

This is one of those left to personal taste and what you want out of your bike. If the opportunity exists to grab the OEMs, and that's something you might wish to do in the future, do so, as they are hard to find from private sellers at a reasonable cost. I bought my 06 liner in spring of 07 with aftermarket pipes and wish I had not done so especially with certain states starting to mandate the EPA stickers. I know our bikes would have to be grandfathered in to any law created, but you can feel the tension mounting from all states on this topic. Besides, what I really like about OEM is that individual components can be replaced where with aftermarket it's usually the entire system should something be dented or scraped severely. If it's the sound of the cobras you like you could always do a slip on later and retain the exup system and header pipe.

In addition to the exup cables and O2 sensor you may also want to be certain you have or can obtain the bracket they mount up to as well. That is a pricey little bugger and isn't always offered when people are selling the OEM's and depending on how the Cobras have been mounted up it may have been removed.

I've got 40K miles on my bike which is all on an aftermarket pipes so I'm pretty certain it does not run any better or worst one way or another. What I do think you gain from the OEM pipe is slightly better fuel mileage compared to that of an aftermarket which is generally tuned more on the performance side. Again, it's what you want out of the bike...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 PM

+1 for what was already said.

In addition, the EXUP offers the best performance from low and mid RPM's. I have a Baron's Big Air kit and D&D slip-on. I just now came in the house after installing firmware to my PCIII as the guy I bought it off had it tuned for stock pipe and K&N filter with O2 sensor disconnected. The new firmware stopped the popping out the intakes and popping out the exhaust on down shifts and smoothed the power out.

Power Commander web site has firmware for stock head pipe, EXUP and D&D slip-on. You already have the PCIII for a slip-on. If you go for all stock setup you will not need the PCIII.

It depends on how much the shop wants for the stock system. It will be more quiet than the Cobra but if you decide to add a slip-on in the future, you have $350 toward it with the PCIII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 PM

hell I'll sell you my PCIII usb for $200.00...

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll just go with some quick and easy quiet baffles. Doesnt sound like there is too big of difference between them and stock, and the baffles should help with low end torque + those slashdowns dont look bad (8
Thanks again,
WillyB.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 AM

I like your plan... if the volume isn't bothering you, and it runs good. All should be nice the slashdowns look nice on the bike too.
I have the RoadHouse slip on it keeps the EXUP, K&N filter cover off mod. I didn't do PC and it runs nice barely pops and its not all the time. Stock ECU after resetting, runs good. nicer fuel ECO as well... If I'm running hard 36-40 mpg. If taking it easy usually when on ride with others I get 45-48 mpg.
Ride Safe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 PM

I had the quiet baffles in a Cobra pipe-equipped bike before and really liked them! Very nice at cruising speeds and such,,, Still enough sound to keep my 'inner child' happy!'
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBucTwo View Post
+1 for what was already said.

In addition, the EXUP offers the best performance from low and mid RPM's. I have a Baron's Big Air kit and D&D slip-on. I just now came in the house after installing firmware to my PCIII as the guy I bought it off had it tuned for stock pipe and K&N filter with O2 sensor disconnected. The new firmware stopped the popping out the intakes and popping out the exhaust on down shifts and smoothed the power out.

Power Commander web site has firmware for stock head pipe, EXUP and D&D slip-on. You already have the PCIII for a slip-on. If you go for all stock setup you will not need the PCIII.

It depends on how much the shop wants for the stock system. It will be more quiet than the Cobra but if you decide to add a slip-on in the future, you have $350 toward it with the PCIII.
give me some info on that d&d slipon. like fit, sound , ease of install, and performance. is it very loud? thanks, bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode