fuel proccessor - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

fuel proccessor

just got my new stratoliner s sat. and i have a questions. if i put a cobra 2000r fuel proccessor on it can i burn 89 octane gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarley bill View Post
just got my new stratoliner s sat. and i have a questions. if i put a cobra 2000r fuel proccessor on it can i burn 89 octane gas?

You don't need to put on a fuel processor to burn 89 octane, nor will the expense (if that's the only reason you're putting it on) be justifiable as you'd basically have to re-map it to "detune" your engine performance in the attempt to have it run as cool as it would using the recommended higher octanes, and I doubt you'd be successful in any event. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy.

The higher octane lets your engine run cooler, but a steady diet of 89 won't hurt it. I go out of my way to find 91 or 92 octane, but it's getting very rare, so my Strat S pretty much has to live on E-10 89 octane with its original ECM and it's passed through 20,000 miles without a hiccup.

Good luck
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

WOW, 2 for 2!
A reply with actual value. He's a poser I tell you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
WOW, 2 for 2!
A reply with actual value. He's a poser I tell you!
Now just stop. You'll give all the newcomers an absolute wrong impression.

Of the top 200 posters who give 100% reliable information 25% of the time, given 50/50 multiple choice answers with a 10% margin of error, I fall squarely within at least one standard deviation half the time.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 PM

Fuel processor

Bill,

I agree you do not need a fuel processor to change grades. If that were the only reason for changing it would take a long time to pay for the processor with what you saved on gas. But if you have not done anything to change the air flow in or out of the engine it probably is not needed.

I have always figured for the thirty to fourty cents I save per tank it is not worth changing fuel grade.

I have been seeing some discussions on another forum about Shell Premium gas. Claiming better mileage and no alcohol. Not real easy for me to get Shell so I have not tried it.

Dave
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 AM

Shell in MI doesn't seem to be any different then other stations, they all seem to have corn syrup in them.
Plus only times I have been running premium now is when it's been above 90 for enough time riding that it will let it run bit cooler. Only difference when I don't have the premium in is when it is hot..... don't run it as hard and all seems fine...
I like it when you guys pick on each other though.. took a while reading back when getting on here...messing with each other. With friends like us who needs enemies.
Ride Safe
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM

The reason high octane is called for is the high compression ratio of the engine. Yamaha raised the compression ratio to get the HP out of the engine. You risk knock by running lower octane on hot days or opening the throttle. You can putt around on lower octane if you keep the engine RPM up to avoid knock. BTW, the higher the octane number the slower the gas burns. With a bike running at lower RPM's such as these, a slower burn is more desirable anyway. Even at $0.10 difference in price/gal and these bikes hold 4.5 gal., that's only a $0.45 savings if you are fully empty. I usually put 3 gals in when filling up. I would save only $0.30 to maybe as high as $0.60 per fill-up, not worth the risk of knocking the hell out of the lower end for a few pennies, plus I can open it up w/o fear of hurting the engine.

Do what you want but the high octane is for the high compression.
What's a few more pennies when putting $12-16 in? Just not worth it IMO.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-12-2011 at 09:55 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM

9.48 to 1 really isn't THAT much compression in todays world,,,

The high operating temp of an air cooled engine is a factor.

Mine will run just fine on 87, but will ping just a bit during 5th gear WOT runs. It gets 89 now.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
9.48 to 1 really isn't THAT much compression in todays world,,,

The high operating temp of an air cooled engine is a factor.

Mine will run just fine on 87, but will ping just a bit during 5th gear WOT runs. It gets 89 now.

Interesting. I've never had mine ping (running E-10, 89 most of the time as 91/2 is getting rarer than a Yamaha in a repair shop). But then I never make a rolling power demand on the engine unless it's at least at the low end of its power band 2000-2200rpm. Operator gear selection plays a huge role in engine longevity.

My GL1500SE called for 91 octane but most always dined on 87 unleaded as the higher octanes are not readily available, and Goldwings have miles of rubber fuel/vacuum tubing that does not respond well to prolonged exposure to alcohol (ethanol). At 114,000 miles it still didn't use any oil and ran perfectly. I would expect given decent care by its new owner, it will effortlessly join the ranks of 250,000 mile+ Wings.

I've never considered price a factor in fuel selection. If I can find the manufacturers' recommended octane I'll use it. Most often however, those of us that tour are at the mercy of whatever fuel is available when the orange light comes on...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

being hearing impaired i can't hear pinging anymore. i prefer the lower octane because of the slight horse power advantage with the faster burn rate. i have had 4 cobra proccessors on my other bikes and 2 pcIII"s. they all improved fuel delivery and tractability. i was just wondering if anyone noticed an improvement on the strat. price is not a factor. i know these bikes are ultra lean because of pollution standards. which in turn cause higher engine temps and pinging. the lean mixture is not as noticible on the strat. basically i'm wanting the perfect fuel air ratio, and the ability to run the lower octane fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode