ISO Grips - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

ISO Grips

Last week I had the touring bars installed. Now my hands get the tingles after a 1 hourr plus ride. I had tried ISO grips on my 950 and they made things worse. Does any have them on the Stratoliner with the touring bars? Should I also get the end weights?

Thanks

Denis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM

I have the Strat Deluxe with the Kuryakyn ISO grips with the Stiletto end caps and they are great. I have had them on my last three bikes I liked them so much.
Swomack

It's All About The Ride
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swomack View Post
I have the Strat Deluxe with the Kuryakyn ISO grips with the Stiletto end caps and they are great. I have had them on my last three bikes I liked them so much.
Swomack
Thanks for the info. By the way keep the shots of your bike coming. Any issues of ground clearance with those added foot rests?

Cheers
Denis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Rule View Post
Does any have them on the Stratoliner with the touring bars?

Denis
You asked, we respond:

Without implying the least disrespect, I would ask you to examine your riding posture and elbow position. If you have a riding position that typically wings out your elbows, you're going to have finger circulation problems that no grip modification will ever mitigate. Elbows must be "in" to ensure blood flow to the meat hooks

I mention this only because you're on a new bike and have made some rapid changes to it. Sometimes it takes a little time for you and the horse to get used to each other. The touring bars will have changed your posture, seat position and arm position. In order to evaluate what might need further accomodation, you need to hold something constant for awhile.

Good luck finding nirvana

Regards
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM

I know I'm late on this but, when I had ISO grips the grip was nice but weight made it better. They do have grip weights for the ISO. I put shot in plastic tube silicone shut on my R* stuffed in grip and that helped the vibration a little.
Ride Safe

I like springers, point as well. Riding arm position makes big difference.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post

So you have ISO grips too. Is there some kind of ISO grip brothehood going on here?

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 AM

I bought my bike with Corbin seat, ISO grips and touring bars, no tingle.

I hated the Corbin and did not like the narrow bars. I installed factory bars with the ISO grips and now I love the Corbin. I still don't have any tingles.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Since your bike is new I thought I'd throw this out there. I got a more high pitched vibration through the bars/floorboards when my Strat was new and the engine was tight. It loosens up quite a bit over the first 2,000 miles and loses that "buzzing" quality for a more relaxed cadence. After the 600 mile tuneup going to full synthetic oil will also help. I use ISO grips/end weights/wear gloves and notice very little vibration coming through the handlebars. Naturally sometimes my right hand starts getting numb, but changing hand positions (ISO grips are good for this) and following Springers advice resolve any temporary problems even during a long day of riding.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
So you have ISO grips too. Is there some kind of ISO grip brothehood going on here?
Actually those aren't ISO grips. The handlebars were originally black steel and my crushing grip squeezed the steel out between my fingers, leaving behind polished chrome from the pressure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBucTwo View Post
I still don't have any tingles.
Let me check around the barn. I might still have a leftover taser from my LEO days...

Last edited by Springer; 07-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Rule View Post
Last week I had the touring bars installed. Now my hands get the tingles after a 1 hourr plus ride. I had tried ISO grips on my 950 and they made things worse. Does any have them on the Stratoliner with the touring bars? Should I also get the end weights?

Thanks

Denis
Why did'nt you install the stock end weights?
I did on mine and have no problems.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode