Question(s) for you Strat Deluxe owners... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Question(s) for you Strat Deluxe owners...

I've owned an '09 V Star 1300 for a bit over a year now and while I love it I've got the opportunity to pick up a demo 2010 Strat Deluxe from a local dealer...

Right now she has it marked down to just a shade under 13K which I know is a good price....A lot will depend on what she's willing to do with my bike as a trade but if that can be worked out I still would like the perspective of folks that have or have at one time owned the bike...

I've read every article and review on the bike that I can find and while most are very complimentary (for good reason) some do have some criticisms of the bike which is where I'm hoping for your input.

I've yet to ride her bike (figured no sense in wasting my or her time if the numbers can't be worked out) but one thing I've seen critcism wise is the fairing not being very effective in either directing enough air over the rider as well as allowing to much to come from underneath which also induces a lot of buffeting of the rider...What has been your experiences with this? Does the fairing do the job as is for you or have you had to go to the taller windscreen and some kind of lowers to get the wind protection you needed?

This kind of goes with the last question but did you find the speakers were able to be heard as is at let's say interstate speed 70+ ? One reviewer commented that above 55mph the speakers were totally inaudible...Has that been anyone's experience?

I guess beyond that I'm just curious what you folks have found yourself out buying to make the bike more enjoyable/usable?

I know after buying a bone stock cruiser that I was quickly spending money on things like a windshield and lowers, cruise pegs, ISO grips and so on just to make riding more comfortable...

What in your minds does the Deluxe need that it doesn't roll off the floor with?

And I guess finally just your impressions of the bike good or bad...I know there will be more good than bad but I just wanna know what the average rider like me that's either bought (or not bought) the bike thinks about it....

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer!!!

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM

I have an 06 Midnight, mostly for the comfort of my wife. I'm 5' 8" with a short wingspan. The previous owner had already put on a Mustang seat. I found the handlebars too far away and too wide. I had to replace the bars with the Yamaha touring. Flanders has a set but it will not fit unless you extend the cables and wires. The bars were $200 and 1.5 hrs labor at the dearer because they have to fish wires throught the bars. I couldn't figure it out. The bike itself has more than enough power for the both of us. I put the Memphis Shades batwing on my 2 previous Yamaha's, a 650 & 1300. You have to decide if you want to look over or through the windsscreen. I have found that if the top is at eye level, I get the most buffeting. This windscreen is over my eyes and I get a lot less buffeting. I wasn't sure I would like it, but it is much better than my eyes bouncing around like dice on a craps table. The mid-level screen just didn'y work for me. You may want to try to negotiate prices on different bars and the right size screen. I thought streetrods were bad, but bikes are just as bad at sucking money out of your wallet. Good luck.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you sir...I appreciate your insight!

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Buffeting

BC,

My Liner is an 06. So cannot speak with much authority about the Deluxe. I did get buffeting with my stock Stratoliner wind shield. Buck's Lowers solved that. I believe you will need a taller windshield to bring it up to about nose high if you want no wind.

I believe you can get lowers that attach to the lower fairing and /or lowers on the front end.

Seems we always find new things we want / need for a new bike.

Dave
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM

Love mine.

I had a 950 and went to a Strat Deluxe this year. I put the hard lowers on right away, and added a 9" clearview shield. I love the bike. It took a little getting used to in city driving situations because it is a big bike. On the highway though......... She's sweet! If you need to pass someone, no problem. I even like the stock seat. Buy it. You won't regret it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 PM

I own a 2010 Strat Deluxe. I replaced the stock windshield with a 9 inch Clearview and this greatly reduced the buffeting. I am 6ft2inches tall. No problem hearing the speakers at highway speeds. The bike is very well balanced. It did teach me the difference between well balanced and nimble! It is long and low so be careful in tight curves. I have added several other items, but none were really necessary. I needed a back rest and my wife needed a better seat so I now have the Ultimate seats which are wonderful. I have put about 8000 miles on the bike since last September. Nothing I have seen so far comes close to moving be off believing I own the best cruiser on the market. I would like to see or ride one of the Victorys someday, just out of curiosity.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...I REALLY appreciate your insight and experiences!!!

I'm planning on visiting the dealership tomorrow to talk to the owner and see where she's at deal wise.....I really love my 1300 but being every bit of 6 foot and a cheeseburger or two over three bills I'm pretty certain I'll love the Deluxe even more...

If a slightly taller shield and some lowers is all I need to look initially then I'm good with that...

Thanks again for taking time to give me your impressions and by all means if there are others I'd still love to hear more...

This is a pretty big investment and I want to do my homework on it....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM

I traded in my 950T for a stratoliner deluxe 5 weeks ago I now racked up 3000 km (1800 miles) and all I can say is I love it. So far I installed the passing lamps (A safety thing, I like to be seen), Touring handle bars ( I have short arms ), ISO grips and a touring windshield that I just added today. The touring windshield is a must in my opinion and the good news is that it only costs $129.00
The stereo is fine with lots of volume for the highway.

Keep us posted

Denis
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
You can't go wrong and you won't be disappointed. With a few mods they make a great bike for just about any type of riding,back roads,city,hwy or just plain hauln arse.Go for it you only live once.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your thoughts and insights on the bike....I think I'm going to go talk a little turkey with the dealership today on my lunch break and see where she's at on the Strat and my 1300....

I'm excited about the possibilities but we'll have to see what the $$$ looks like...

Regardless of the outcome I appreciate each and every one of you taking the time to share your thoughts with me on your bikes...it's helped tremendously!!

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode