cobra power pro autotune - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

cobra power pro autotune

has anyone bought and installed the new tuner from cobra yet. i almost fully understand how it works, and if it works like they say it does it is ultra ingenious. it's like having a dyno on your crankshaft the whole time the engine is running. since all bikes have some sort of damper in the drive train, every time the engine fires it will pick up a slight amount of speed against the damper the more throttle you use the more speed the engine will pick up for a fraction of a second against the damper. the tuner electronically measures this change in engine acceleration up to 80 times per second off the crank shaft position sensor and can adjust fuel according to the increased load. when cruising at a steady speed with normal load it maintains the oem injection map meaning no extra fuel added, so mileage should not suffer when riding normal. when you give it extra throttle it adjusts the mixture for maximum hp.which it contiuously monitors in fractions of a second. this is a big step in fuel control technology. i hope i explained this right. if theres any cobra engineers out there correct me it i did,nt explain it right. it's really a complex thing and yet so simple. basically i think what this tuner does is uses the driveline damper as an on board dynamometer load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM

I was looking at that before I bought my Power Commander. Its really the way to go, I found my PC on e bay for a good price at 200 bucks then another 300-400 to get it tuned (if I wanted to.) I believe the Cobra Pro Tuner is only 500 bucks. My problem is its for a 2009 and newer bikes. I asked a local dyno shop and they said it would be fine, I asked Cobra tech. and they said no so I went with the Power Commander. Day late and a dollar short I guess,lol.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarley bill View Post
it's like having a dyno on your crankshaft the whole time the engine is running. ... when you give it extra throttle it adjusts the mixture for maximum hp.which it contiuously monitors in fractions of a second.
i'm a little skeptical of this device. i'm sure it works better than most processors out there, but since it is the first of its technology on the market, i'd like to see some independent testers give their reviews of it.

also, what is considered optimal? it's cobra's definition of optimal. they state optimal efficiency and optical performance. those can mean 2 different things. it's a debate-able standard. and if you can get different readings on an actual dyno with the same equipment, how accurate is this thing going to be?

Quote:
when cruising at a steady speed with normal load it maintains the oem injection map
on Cobra's site, they state that it doesn't use your bike's ECM fuel map.

here's a site that charges $460 delivered. http://www.sscustomcycle.com/

if i were still in the market for a processor, i would give this one serious thought, but there are a lot of questions about it yet to be answered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i'm a little skeptical of this device. i'm sure it works better than most processors out there, but since it is the first of its technology on the market, i'd like to see some independent testers give their reviews of it.

also, what is considered optimal? it's cobra's definition of optimal. they state optimal efficiency and optical performance. those can mean 2 different things. it's a debate-able standard. and if you can get different readings on an actual dyno with the same equipment, how accurate is this thing going to be?

on Cobra's site, they state that it doesn't use your bike's ECM fuel map.

here's a site that charges $460 delivered. http://www.sscustomcycle.com/

if i were still in the market for a processor, i would give this one serious thought, but there are a lot of questions about it yet to be answered.
i'm with you. i will probably get one soon, but i need to see some reviews and dyno numbers. i trust cobra, and thier products beacause i have bought many things from them and never had a problem. my main concern is not wether it works or notbut does it work $500.00 worth.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
i trust cobra, and thier products beacause i have bought many things from them and never had a problem. my main concern is not wether it works or notbut does it work $500.00 worth.
i'm comparing it to when the iphone was brand new. it was cool and new technology and was a game changer, but it had a lot of problems and limitations (still does in my opinion). this new processor is new and exciting and i think it should be purchased if you really think it is going to be the best fit for what you want for your bike, not because it's new and cool.

and i trust Cobra as well since i own their FI2000 processor and am very happy with it, it's just that there's nothing really to compare this new technology with to know if it is going to be any good.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM

It operates in 1 of 3 modes. 1 is full on auto tune,,, only done while accellerating mild to hard.
The other 2 modes are cruise modes,, for cruising or light accelleration. Which one of those 2 you will use depends on your bikes equipment. O2 equipped bikes will target a 14.2 - 1 A/F mix, and non - O2 bikes will used cumulative data and tune towards the 'richer' end of those settings.
Ya get both full on tuning and cruise tuning, all from the same unit,,, unlike a single map in a PC. (I hear the PCV holds 2 maps)
The 109 guys have had them for 'months',,, no bad reviews yet.
Tuning is cumulative, so you may have to run it hard through the gears a few times after you install it to 'dial it in'.

No, I don't have one. Yes, I've read a lot about 'em! =)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

looks like i may have to be the guinea pig on this site. i really am not looking for speed, just maximum efficiency and performance from the stock motor.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Thumbs up power pro tuner

i install power pro tuner last week and what a difference bike is much more smother and has more power at all speeds. it curizes at a lower rpm now. have owned a lot of motorcycles before and i will have to say this is the best mod i have ever done.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm holding out for a sale,,,,

maybe,,,, =)

Still trying to convince myself its $220+ better than the O2 Cobra unit,,,

I think for some users, that answer is YES, but perhaps for others,,, uh, Maybe,,,

Last time I added a tuner, it wasn't long till I needed a new clutch! LOL! (VTX1800, OEM springs are weak)

I'm guessing there's parts of the 'old O2' tuner (cruise mode) used alongside the 'autotune' parts inside the new tuner,,, (No adjustments of any kind on new tuner)

"Parts is parts, Vern", now which ones do I need????? And how many more will I need later????

=)

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 08-09-2011 at 09:29 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM

How is the Cobra unit different from the Power Commander's AutoTune module? I believe the PC comes with a wideband O2 sensor, which must be used. Does either unit allow you to choose the target A/F ratio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode