Stock muffler installation - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Stock muffler installation

Hello All.
I just purchased a stock muffler for my 2006 Stratoliner. First off, I think I am missing the muffler bracket and bolts. It looks like it would just slip into the exhaust, but do you have to remove the chrome shielding?
I have reviewed the service manual page 3-18 and it doesn't break down the steps to install.
I also have two cables that go to the EXUP. I have to check to see if they are already installed. I had to buy a complete exhaust to get just the muffler so now I have alot of extra parts.
I thought all I had to do was slip the muffler in and bolt it in. The muffler is very heavy so I definitely see the need for the muffler bracket.
Kind of bummed about not having the bracket. If you have a step by step, I would appreciate some guidance.
Much obliged!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 PM

Yes you definately need the bracket if it's not already on the bike. You don't have to remove any shielding to slide the muffler on. It should be an easy install as you thought but you definately need the muffler bracket and the bolts to attach it to. One other thing make sure the muffler has a gasket installed. It should be in there if not you'll have to buy a new one or it will leak exhaust and probably condensation.
Joe

Last edited by cal55; 07-26-2011 at 07:02 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Banned

Yes, there is a couple of locations along the length of the muffler where it will attach itself to the frame/bracket. I believe there is two bolts in addition to the clamp where it slips into the main exhaust pipe. I'll try to get a picture or 2 of mine today, but no promises on the picture quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

These pictures are taken in a direction looking "up" from the ground under the muffler.

This picture shows the location of one of the three button head socket screws that attach the muffler to the bracket:

From this picture you can see it is located just behind where the muffler becomes real big in diameter.

Last edited by stratowart; 07-27-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: changed quantity from 2 to 3
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

The second bolt is located just about in line with the rear wheel axle. And just a few inches to the right of this bolt (can't see it in the picture) there is a third bolt:

Last edited by stratowart; 07-27-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added info on the 3rd bolt
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

:Hey, no problem, glad to help, really, no need to thank me, the pleasure was all mine, stop it now, honestly, come on, you'd have done the same for me I'm sure, I said stop it,, you're just being way too kind...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Good one Stratowart.

Really, thank you for the information. We are packing up the truck and trailer and heading your way. We have a camp off Moosehead Lake in Rockwood.

So... if you see an Avalanche pulling a trailer with everything including the kitchen sink and, oh yeah, a Stratoliner, honk and wave as you pass us!

I could not purchase the muffler hanger; so, looks like I'm gonna light up some houses when I drive by.

Kev
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicamen View Post
Good one Stratowart.

Really, thank you for the information. We are packing up the truck and trailer and heading your way. We have a camp off Moosehead Lake in Rockwood.

So... if you see an Avalanche pulling a trailer with everything including the kitchen sink and, oh yeah, a Stratoliner, honk and wave as you pass us!

I could not purchase the muffler hanger; so, looks like I'm gonna light up some houses when I drive by.

Kev

So are you driving staright thru? if yes about what time will you be on Rt 95 North (passing thru Northeast Mass, all 18 miles of NH and into God's counttry?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

We are leaving DC at the peak of rush hour on a DC Friday. We leave around 1300 and will be at the Maine border around 2200-2300. Still more than 6 hours to go from the NH/ME border. New York Bronx Parkway will be fun with a trailer as wide as the lane and all the bumps on the George Washington bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode