How to trailer a motorcycle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

How to trailer a motorcycle

Well the time has finally come...VACATION!

I plan on trailering my 2006 Strat and would like to have some pointers.

My trailer is a heavy duty 14' open trailer; the type you generally see yard maintenance crews use. I will have many ratcheting straps with good anchors.

Initial advice was to place 800 lb motorcycle over the dual axle of the trailer. Do you agree?

Do I keep the bike in gear? Where do I place the straps? Being so heavy with no support in the middle of the trailer bed, do I stand it upright and then gradually cinch the straps tight to keep it upright?

Never trailered a motorcycle, but have with 4x4's. This is a bit different since it only has two wheels.

Greatly appreciate your help. Leaving tomorrow afternoon for mostly 12+ hours of highway driving.

Thanks,

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Banned

I would add a wheel chock for the front wheel.

There are various schools of thought but I always trailer with the tranny in neutral.

Two straps from the triple tree area pulling the bike down and forward (into the wheel chock)
Two more off the back end of the bike pulling the bike down and toward the rear of the trailer.
As an added "piece of mind" I also run a strap off both sides of the rear tire directly to the side of the trailer to keet the back wheel from hopping off to one side or the other (It wants to do that on bumpy roads)

In route, stop often to check the strap tightness, especially if you encounter rain.

Don't cover the scoot because the tarp will do more harm than good to the paint and chrome due to flapping in the wind.

Last edited by stratowart; 07-28-2011 at 08:51 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

Does the trailer have a front "lip"? Something about a foot to 18" high? If not, I'd rent an m/c trailer. The bike should be positioned forward on the trailer with the front wheel snug against the front barrier, then secured as Stratowart suggests (using straps in very good condition and inspected prior to securing the bike).

The end objective is to have the bike standing straight up, kickstand UP, in neutral, snugged by at least 4, preferably 6, straps. The tightening of the triple tree straps should compress the front suspension enough to keep tension on the straps and keep the bike from bouncing. Likewise the rear straps.

I concur with not using a tarp, but have used thin styrofoam padding to cover the windshield to protect it from road debris kicked up by the towing vehicle.

This isn't a great picture, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the finished effort:

Good luck.

PS- If you're still confused, ask any HD owner; they're experts at trailering

OK, OK, j/k....

Last edited by Springer; 07-28-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Harbor Freight has Great buys on Wheel Chucks... I recommend these 2 both work... one is $30 other is $69 and usually you can use 10% off coupons... I can even send you copy of coupon to print and they will let you use it.

image_5312 by utwillrise, on Flickr
image_3963 by utwillrise, on Flickr

image_3963 by utwillrise, on Flickr
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Banned

and try to avoid doing this:

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM

another thing i did on my trailer was to mount two 1x2's about 1 inch wider than the rear wheel via screws and liquid nails along the back half of my trailer. It wound up being perfect for keeping my rear wheel from hopping left or right.

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode